R.H.

Default What is it? LIX

Just posted a new set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Norman D. Crow

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a new set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

333 - mute for a "brass"(i.e.: trumpet, trombone)
336 - some type of hydrometer for measuring specific gravity of a liquid.
337 - Thought rasp, but surface looks almost like non-stick treatment, so
maybe an electric griddle surface of some type.
--
Nahmie

Jonathan Wilson

336 looks like some kind of syringe or pippette that you use to hold
something. The scale is probobly for measuring what you are picking up
337 looks like a close up of a meat hammer
338 looks like its a stake of some kind

William Wixon

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a new set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

333. mute for trumpet etc.
334. can't guess
335. starting a fire (?) (not smooth and flat enough to be an optical
mirror)
336. specific gravity of fluid
337. beating your meat
337. can't guess (at first i thought "tent stake" then thought "no way" i
am curious about this. at 14" it's too big and heavy to be a tent stake.
tried to guess the material it's made of. tin coated copper, galvanized
steel, aluminum? something to do with electric transmission equipment?
some sort of anodic material? magnesium? that would be a absurdly large
spike.)

CGroth

R.H. wrote:
Just posted a new set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

335: you're using the polished end of the soft drink can as a reflector
to start a fire.

335. You are actually using the soda can to measure the height of the
tree in the reflection.

B.B.

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

Just posted a new set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

333. Antibrass.
334. Jelly wrench.
335. To see if soda can make women pretty as well as beer can.
336. Device to transfer acid onto pants.
337. Politician.
337.2 Stake for killing vampire gophers.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted a new set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

333: Ashtray
334: Hole saw
335: Trying to use can as barometer
336: Measures specific gravity
337: Waffle iron
338: Tent stake

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Rich Grise

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 08:32:27 +0000, R.H. wrote:

Just posted a new set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

334: Does that toothed collar spin freely? Then I'm guessing
it's some kind of power jar opener or cleat remover.

337B Paint Stirrer (or Milkshake Maker Beater)

Cheers!
Rich

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted a new set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Posted from: rec.crafts.metalworking

333) Mute for Coronet or Trumpet (I saw this answer, as I came in at
the wrong point in the thread -- but I agree with the answer.

334) Wrench for removing jar lids -- probably something like olive
jar lids -- flat and not very tall.

335) Inversion of image by being outside the focal length of a
concave mirror.

336) Hydrometer -- for determining the specific gravity of a liquid.

Perhaps for acid mix in lead-acid battery fluid, since the
specific gravity range is entirely above 1.00. Alcohol proof
hydrometers would read below 1.00, I believe.

337) Rubber friction grip on something flat? The shape of the
projections is wrong for it to be an extreme close-up of a file,
and also wrong for a waffle iron.

338) The scale might be about right for steps on an electric power
pole, but I would not expect the hook to be two-sided.

Perhaps to lay cables on in a cable run between floors in an
industrial building?

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Carl G.

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a new set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

335. Fire starting.

Carl G.

Lone Biker Of The Apocalypse

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 08:32:27 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Just posted a new set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

333. Mute for brass instrument

334. Jar wrench

335. You polished the can with a chocolate bar and wrapper

336. Battery hydrometer
337. Might be vice jaws (pulled that one out of my arse)
338. Military tent stake

Robert

Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:
Just posted a new set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

333. Old timey malt mixing cup.
334. No clue
335. No clue
336. Hydrometer
337. Meat tenderizer
338. Tent stake.

RCM

Gary Brady
R.H.

Once again, they have all been answered correctly.

Spoilers
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

333. Trumpet mute

334. Jar opener

335. The polished can is used to start a fire, as seen on this site:

http://www.trackertrail.com/survival...dchocolatebar/

part II of this page has more practical ways of making one of these.

336. Hydrometer, I found this in box with a number of pipettes and a
microscope.

337. Meat tenderizer, I put up a couple more pictures of this one on the
answer page:

http://pzphotosan62.blogspot.com/

Also on this page I posted a link to a site that has a video of the optical
illusion ring in motion, although I think it looks a little better in
person.

338. Tent peg

Rob

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Patrick Hamlyn wrote:
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

336) Hydrometer -- for determining the specific gravity of a liquid.

Perhaps for acid mix in lead-acid battery fluid, since the
specific gravity range is entirely above 1.00. Alcohol proof
hydrometers would read below 1.00, I believe.

Actually no... for beer and wine they read above 1.00 as well.

You measure the 'wort' before fermenting and then as you bottle it. The
difference. which relates to the amount of sugar converted to alcohol, gives the
alcohol content. You generally bottle at just above 1.000, or just below for
some wines.

And since this hydrometer starts at 1.1 (IIRC), it would not
work for the wines, at least.

The difference between the SG of alcohol and water, combined with the fact that
after fermenting there are still some high-density solids in solution, makes
direct alcohol content reading for beer and wine using a hydrometer impossible.

Distilled spirits might be another story.

And distilled spirits are what are commonly rated in "proof",
which is what I referred to.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I still think it looks like a saccarometer. The range is right, although
most are scaled in "potential alcohol" as well as specific gravity.

LLoyd

Patrick Hamlyn

(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

In article ,
Patrick Hamlyn wrote:
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

336) Hydrometer -- for determining the specific gravity of a liquid.

Perhaps for acid mix in lead-acid battery fluid, since the
specific gravity range is entirely above 1.00. Alcohol proof
hydrometers would read below 1.00, I believe.

Actually no... for beer and wine they read above 1.00 as well.

You measure the 'wort' before fermenting and then as you bottle it. The
difference. which relates to the amount of sugar converted to alcohol, gives the
alcohol content. You generally bottle at just above 1.000, or just below for
some wines.

And since this hydrometer starts at 1.1 (IIRC), it would not
work for the wines, at least.

Not at all... it is labelled from 1.04 to 1.00, and you could easily use it down
to 0.99, ie it would work for every kind of beer or wine.

The difference between the SG of alcohol and water, combined with the fact that
after fermenting there are still some high-density solids in solution, makes
direct alcohol content reading for beer and wine using a hydrometer impossible.

Distilled spirits might be another story.

And distilled spirits are what are commonly rated in "proof",
which is what I referred to.

Ah but you were using the 'not for proof alcohol' argument to argue in favour of
it being a lead-acid battery hydrometer, which is what I was disagreeing with.

In fact a healthy discharged lead-acid battery has an SG of 1.12, and charged it
should be 1.265, so this particular hydrometer would bob around like a cork on
the ocean in any liquid that came out of a battery.

--
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere
Nick Atty

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 00:24:05 GMT, Patrick Hamlyn
wrote:

Not at all... it is labelled from 1.04 to 1.00, and you could easily use it down
to 0.99, ie it would work for every kind of beer or wine.

An OG of 1040 wouldn't do for several beers I've fond of. Which I
suspect means it wouldn't do for a lot of un-fermented wine worts
either.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)