PVR

Default Basement ceiling.

I'm finishing my basement. I could use a slight drop ceiling using a system
from HD or drywall direct to the joists. If I go the drywall route should I
get the ceiling done before studs/drywall to the walls or after? Does it
matter? Are both used but one is more preferred?

Peter.

PVR wrote:
I'm finishing my basement. I could use a slight drop ceiling using a

system
from HD or drywall direct to the joists. If I go the drywall route

should I
get the ceiling done before studs/drywall to the walls or after? Does

it
matter? Are both used but one is more preferred?

Peter.

Speaking from experience. Go with drop ceiling. I did my basement with
drywall 20 years ago (SWMBO does not like drop ceiling tiles). I cannot
count how many times I cut the dry wall and patched it up and wished I
had a drop ceiling whenever I had to rewire and other plumbing mods. I
still threaten to knock all the drywall down and redo with drop
ceiling.

PVR wrote:
I'm finishing my basement. I could use a slight drop ceiling using a

system
from HD or drywall direct to the joists. If I go the drywall route

should I
get the ceiling done before studs/drywall to the walls or after? Does

it
matter? Are both used but one is more preferred?

Peter.

I'm getting ready to redo our basement. The exercise room will have a
drop ceiling because that's where all the wiring, plumbing, etc. runs
are. The main room will be drywall because I like the look better and
there is nothing in the ceiling that will need to be accessed.

Drywall the ceiling first then the walls (AFTER all the framing is
complete) - the wall drywall will hold the ceiling drywall up so you
don't get sags or cracks at the joint.

If you're going to use a drop ceiling, drywall the walls first, then
put the track up over the drywall.

Steve

Clint

Personally, I hate drywalled ceilings when you have no access to the area
above somehow. Even on our 5 year old house, I now have a hole in the
basement ceiling to fix because of a water leak... And forget being able to
run extra cable or network lines... They may look better, but in my
opinion, they're not worth the hassles. I've been burned twice now on two
different houses. But maybe I should just live in the house, and not try to
change it?

Clint

"Robert A. Gramza" wrote in message
If you need phone or cable-tv lines in any of the walls , don't forget to
drop them before closing the ceiling

wrote in message
oups.com...

PVR wrote:
[...]

Here's a good option if you can't run wires:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/GE-Co...oductDetail.do

Between 802.11 super G, phones like this and free range speakers; wired
houses are becoming a thing of the past. If they would just do
something about that pesky line from the dish to the TV...

Brian Siano

PVR wrote:
I'm finishing my basement. I could use a slight drop ceiling using a system
from HD or drywall direct to the joists. If I go the drywall route should I
get the ceiling done before studs/drywall to the walls or after? Does it
matter? Are both used but one is more preferred?

Since my basement ceiling's just the joists, and there are lots of pipes
and wirs running there, I just stapled up some Tyvek sheets. Keeps the
dust from falling, and reflects light back down to the work.
GQ

On 4/26/05 10:49 PM, PVR wrote:

I'm finishing my basement. I could use a slight drop ceiling using a system
from HD or drywall direct to the joists. If I go the drywall route should I
get the ceiling done before studs/drywall to the walls or after? Does it
matter? Are both used but one is more preferred?

Just FYI, here's alternative to a traditional drop ceiling, the advantage being
that you don't lose as much height.
http://www.acpideas.com/Pages/ceilingmax.htm
Clint

They have something to handle that pesky line. Up here, it's called
"peasant-vision", and uses the new and high-tech "Rabbit Ears" media
distribution device.

Clint

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's a good option if you can't run wires:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/GE-Co...oductDetail.do

Between 802.11 super G, phones like this and free range speakers; wired
houses are becoming a thing of the past. If they would just do
something about that pesky line from the dish to the TV...

Mike Marlow

"PVR" wrote in message
I'm finishing my basement. I could use a slight drop ceiling using a

system
from HD or drywall direct to the joists. If I go the drywall route should

get the ceiling done before studs/drywall to the walls or after? Does it
matter? Are both used but one is more preferred?

Peter.

Largely, it's a matter of choice, but if you have junction boxes in the
floor joists, you can't sheet rock over them. They have to remain
accessable.

--

-Mike-

George

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"PVR" wrote in message
I'm finishing my basement. I could use a slight drop ceiling using a

system
from HD or drywall direct to the joists. If I go the drywall route

should
get the ceiling done before studs/drywall to the walls or after? Does it
matter? Are both used but one is more preferred?

Peter.

Largely, it's a matter of choice, but if you have junction boxes in the
floor joists, you can't sheet rock over them. They have to remain
accessable.

Since no one else has mentioned it, a suspended ceiling also gives better
sound isolation than sheetrock nailed directly. It can sometimes mean the
difference between escape and "family TV."