Duane Bozarth

Default Help, I need little L-brackets and don't have tools!

Sheri L wrote:
...snip woeful tale again...

Now you see why you should have some tools around the house...unless
you're going to be content to be in this bind every time anything
either breaks or needs patching/repairing and spend far more than you've
mentioned for minor repairs, I think you're stuck...

Only suggestion I would have would be to find a really large industrial
supply house locally that will also sell over the counter and hope
they've something or the equivalent in a large old-timey (not the ACE or
other new-age plastic-bagged type of place) if your're adamant that it's
gotta' be the size you want or nothing.

I think the best solution is the angle cut to length, but use a piece of
Al, not Fe.
Lobby Dosser

Sheri L wrote:

Hi again ya'll,

Well I asked about where to finding L-brackets and now I know a half a
dozen ways to make up my own little L-brackets or get around them.
Thanks for all the ideas but I really just just want a source to get
the pre-made pieces.

Try looking for corner brackets. Looks like 1"x1" may be about the
smallest, but you may find smaller with retailers of jewelery supplies.
Here's a link:

http://www.dlawlesshardware.com/support.html

The brackets are about half way down the page.

ACE has them in brass:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=1293779&cp=
1254881.1255030.1259871&parentPage=family

This what you're looking for?

LD
Clint

Well, if you had a Lee Valley close to you, should be able to get some of
these:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...306,41312&ap=1

They're still larger than you wanted, at 13/16" long, and they're sold in
bags of 50, but what the heck... If nothing else, this might give you
another search term, rather than "L-brackets".

Clint

"Sheri L" wrote in message
Hi again ya'll,

Well I asked about where to finding L-brackets and now I know a half a
dozen
ways to make up my own little L-brackets or get around them. Thanks for
all
the ideas but I really just just want a source to get the pre-made pieces.

Ya'll are a creative bunch. But you guys already have tools and stuff, I
only
have my cordless screwdriver and yardstick, that's why I buy stuff like
the
'easy home assembly' micorwave cart that only needs a phillip screwdriver
put it together. No shop vises and drills and saws and hammers to beat
things
into shape with. And even if I had a way to hold down the 1" Stanley
brackets
to try and saw the ends off them that would cut the holes in half when I
got
them short enough not to stick out.

Anyway I looked at Big Lots and TruValue on the way home for stuff. A
bench
vise, that's $11.95 for a 6 inch one. Then a drill, that's $17.95. And a
drill bit assortment, $2.99. And a hacksaw, $1.99. Now maybe I might could
use those tools someday for something but that's just silly right now to
get
into $35+ of tools and stuff for the $2 parts to fit on a $5 kitchen cart.
And not even counting a bench yet to put the bench vise on. Or the piece
of
angled iron. But I did go ahead and get the '16 oz hickory handle claw
hammer' for $1.79, now I can hang up pictures with something other than a
can
of beans. g.

Anyway if I find the little L-brackets, I can still get the last part of
this
cart together with only my cordless screwdriver. Can't anybody say a place
besides Rockler that sells the odd little hardware parts?

Thanks,

Sheri Lee W

There Norm, is that a woeful tale enough for you? g

AAvK

Any standard hardware store will have the type of brackets you're looking for.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

John

Go to Home Depot or Lowes, go to where they stock the aluminum or
steel barstock, they usually also have right angle stock. Get some
where the sides are the appropriate length, take home, hacksaw off the
pieces you want, then use your electric drill to drill holes for the
screws.

Fairly cheap, and you can make them any WIDTH you want in case you
need more support than just a small L-bracket would supply

Of course, both sides of these homemade L-brackets would be the same
length, so if that is a problem, get the stock in aluminum and then
hacksaw or file which ever leg needs to be shortened

John

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:39:33 GMT, Sheri L wrote:

Hi again ya'll,

Well I asked about where to finding L-brackets and now I know a half a dozen
ways to make up my own little L-brackets or get around them. Thanks for all
the ideas but I really just just want a source to get the pre-made pieces.

Ya'll are a creative bunch. But you guys already have tools and stuff, I only
have my cordless screwdriver and yardstick, that's why I buy stuff like the
'easy home assembly' micorwave cart that only needs a phillip screwdriver to
[...]

Dan Valleskey

corner hardware. definetly, you need a good relationship with your
corner hardware store. They have more litte bitty shapes and pieces
than any bLowes or Home Despot. And usually have decent fellows to
help you find the stuff you need.

Ace Hardware, True Value, HWI, something like that.

-Dan V.

[...]

J. Clarke

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Sheri L wrote:
Since I bought the hammer, I have all the tools I need for what I ever
want to do. Hang the piture and put my cart together. If something big
comes I will ask some guys from church to help us, I think this missing
part is too little to bother them.

..

Well, a hammer won't too well for a screw, will it? But, I've seen a
lot who will try... As I noted in the other thread, if you're
content to either pay for or have someone else donate their effort to
fix any problem in your residence, that's your choice...sounds
immature and possibly selfish to me, but that's just me...

Really depends on one's interests and abilities. Some folks should _not_
attempt home repairs--that's not disparaging them, there's usually
something else that they're _really_ good at, but for some folks just
touching a tool results in disaster. He might be one of them.

And if one is making ten million dollars a year in arbitrage or some such
then hiring work done is definitely the reasonable thing to do unless one
takes joy in doing it oneself or needs the anodyne.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Duane Bozarth

"J. Clarke" wrote:
And if one is making ten million dollars a year in arbitrage or some such
then hiring work done is definitely the reasonable thing to do unless one
takes joy in doing it oneself or needs the anodyne.

Then buying open-crate stuff at Big Lots to save $15 and searching for a
bracket and bitching about buying a couple of cheap tools wouldn't seem
to be an issue, either.

I was simply put off by Sheri's response to reasoned suggestions to
fabricate a simple piece as "too hard, too expensive when it wasn't
really much expense or effort at all" when she started out buy trying to
get by on the cheap. Then when she compounded that by noting she got
some church fellows to do all her maintenance for her, that smacked to
me of simply using people. Perhaps I'm a little touchy on the subject
just now having been through a period of extensive storm damage
volunteer work here and seeing both the good and some very bad in what
people would do/expect from volunteers...

Edwin Pawlowski

"Sheri L" wrote in message
And yes I use whatever and whoever I can get. As long as there are 100's
of
you guys following around with your tounges hanging out and your knuckles
all
dragging then I can always get AT LEAST one of you to do stuff for me for
free. You can blame my jerk ex-huband for that, maybe it will help if you
just think of it as 'payback to your gender'.

And you brag about getting the people from church to help you also. Maybe a
few knuckle draggers will do what you want, but we also know what your type
of person really is.

CW

There will come a time when you don't have that in your favor anymore. At
that point, you will have to learn to do for yourself.

"Sheri L" wrote in message
I will tell you that it never hurts a girl to be pretty with
long blonde hair and big boobs, just to put on a tank top and go ask him

for
what I want. ;-)

BiffNightly

Just a thought here........Can you contact the manufacturer & have them send
you the parts, after all, they forgot to pack them in in the first place?

I have never had a manufacturer refuse to send missing parts yet.
Doug
"Sheri L" wrote in message
[...]

Duane Bozarth

Sheri L wrote:
Just what is your trip Duane? ....

And yes I use ... whoever I can get. ...

That attitude is exactly my "trip"...
Clint

Shucks, ma'am. Twern't nothing...

Clint

"Sheri L" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:51:08 GMT, "Clint"
posted:

Well, if you had a Lee Valley close to you, should be able to get some of
these:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...306,41312&ap=1

They're still larger than you wanted, at 13/16" long, and they're sold in
bags of 50, but what the heck... If nothing else, this might give you
another search term, rather than "L-brackets".

Clint

Clint you are my hero, I click around there just one step up and see this,
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=50310&cat=3,41306,41312&ap=1
which is just the right size for me and bags of 20 for 50 cents less even!

Thank you for listening to what I needed, everybosy else here seems to
just
want me investing a machine shop of tools and make them up myself.

I am going place my order tonight, thanks so much again!

XOXOXO

Sheri Lee

snip woeful tale