Jason Quick

Default Double Wood Gloat

EPISODE ONE: I'm thumbing the Sunday classifieds a coupla weeks ago looking
under "Building Materials" when this ad jumps out:

"Rough sawn Oak, Cherry, Walnut lumber, air-dried 20 years. $2/board foot.
292-XXXX. "

Oook! So's I get on the phone and call the advertiser, make arrangements to
meet him down at his acreage south of town (I live in Omaha). I get there
the next AM, and meet this old-timer, who as it turns out used to be in the
tree-removal business, and came by this stuff that way. Then he leads me
out to a shed, wherein lies...oh my.

Walnut, beautiful walnut, anywhere from 3/4-12/4 (mostly 4/4 and 8/4),
mostly 8-10" wide, a couple 12+. White oak (burr oak, native around here) -
less in quantity than the walnut, almost all 5/4 and 6/4 and 6-8" wide. And
the cherry...not a ton left by the time I got there, but what there was was
lovely, wide stuff; one board is 14.5" wide and 80" long. All the boards
had a price written on the end, so keeping track was easy. Good thing, too.

I picked boards out until I ran out of space to haul them, and left a few
behind to go pick up the next day. I wrote the guy a check for $200. I
haven't even gotten around to figuring out how much I actually have all
told, but I did total up the cherry - it came to 23.25BF, for which I paid
$44, or $1.89/BF. I planed some up yesterday, and it's magnificent. I'll
have to get back to you with the rest, but I'm thinking I probably wound up
paying rather less than $2/BF when all's said and done.

EPISODE TWO: Then, this week's classifieds had this ad:

Doug Miller

In article 7ze9e.1489$MY5.140@okepread03, "Jason Quick" wrote:

EPISODE TWO: Then, this week's classifieds had this ad:

Well? Don't keep us in suspense....

--
Regards,

Jason Quick

wrote:

EPISODE TWO: Then, this week's classifieds had this ad:

Well? Don't keep us in suspense....

Sorry...hit "post" too soon...decided to put it in a second missive. See
that one. : )

Jason

Dan Valleskey

almost as good a deal as when I found a half sheet of melamine for 5
bucks.

-Dan V.