angharad

Default compressor and nailer recommendations

Can anyone give me some recommendations on an air compressor and nail guns.
I will be using them for cabinet work. Thanks.

go see you porter-cable man....buy a combo kit....I use a pinner and a
finish nailer most and a stapler for the backs
Mike

David

Does it need to be portable?
What's your price range?

I have ALL Porter Cable guns, so I'm not a good one to ask for advice
because I haven't used Senco or, Bostich, Paslode, or others. My PC's
work fine, but there's got to be others that are just as good. Mine use
oil; you might want to consider oilless guns. sometimes mine tend to
spit a tiny bit.

For cabinet work you'll most likely want to have a crown stapler too,
for attaching thin material such as 1/4" cabinet backs.

I'm partial to oil type compressors. I hate the clattering sound of
oilless comps.

Dave

angharad wrote:

Can anyone give me some recommendations on an air compressor and nail guns.
I will be using them for cabinet work. Thanks.

Thomas Kendrick

Porter-Cable CFFN250N Finish & Brad Nailer Combo Kit for $299 on
Amazon (with FREE shipping). Add a narrow-crown stapler and you're
there.

The compressor is oilless, so it will be a bit loud. Get some extra
hose and put it farther away from your work area.

On 18 Apr 2005 18:35:13 -0700, wrote:

go see you porter-cable man....buy a combo kit....I use a pinner and a
finish nailer most and a stapler for the backs
Mike

I have the same set (without the stapler, which I wish I had). Great
unit. The compressor works well and the nail guns are great. I did
have a bit of trouble, with the smaller gun of the combo, shooting the
smallest brads..5/8" I think. Was having some trouble with those...but
otherwise, works great.

The compressor is a bit loud, but not terrible.

It is the only unit I've owned. But I'm happy with it.

Mike

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:33:15 GMT, angharad
wrote:

Can anyone give me some recommendations on an air compressor and nail guns.
I will be using them for cabinet work. Thanks.

I tend to like the Senco finish nail guns and brad nailers since
that's what we have more of.
We recently bought a Hitatchi finish nail gun which I think has little
more power than the Senco but also seems to leave a lot bigger mark
from the driver under the same pressure. I might be able to solve
that with lower pressure but the pressure we run seems to work great
with everything else we shoot.
BTW, I think the Hitachi and the Porter Cable finish nail guns are
twins separated at birth because (except for the color) they look
nearly identical.

As far as a compressor goes, buy the best one you can afford that
isn't too large for you to move around.

Mike O.
X_HOBBES

I have an $80 Bostich brad nailer that I absolutely love. It is oil-less
and has never jammed. It's extremely light-weight, very easy to load and
handle.

X_HOBBES

"angharad" wrote in message
Can anyone give me some recommendations on an air compressor and nail

guns.
I will be using them for cabinet work. Thanks.

Thomas Kendrick

I have the Spotnails narrow-crown stapler which has a large capacity
magazine. It has been used to attach paneling to framing for walls as
well as fascia to rafter tails. It has other uses than just cabinet
backs.
I have two friends who will loan me the PC 16-gauge finish nailer, so
I bought the PC 15-gauge nailer. Yes, the nails are more expensive and
have bigger heads. The 16-gauge heads would probably be less visible
in cabinet work.