Oldun

Default Morticers

Has anyone tried one of those mortising attachments which connect to a
planer thicknesser? Elektra Beckum make such a thing and I was wondering how
it compares with a normal bench top mortiser.

If they are any good I could get rid of my mortiser and thicknesser. I would
then have a planer (jointer), thicknesser and mortiser in one compact unit.

This would help greatly as space is diminishing daily in my garage/workshop.

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or experiences from anyone.

Oldun

Is it mortiser or mortiser? I have seen both spellings used and am not sure
which is correct.

woodworker88

I don't know anything about the mortisers for thickness planers. I
have used the Delta clamp on mortiser for drill presses and found that
it works very well. The one caveat is that you must buy the chisels
seperately from the attachment, and the set of chisels is also $50, the
same as the attachment.
I have always used the spelling mortiser.

Mike

Mortising attachments for a planer? Shopsmith must have a new unit
out. As for the spelling, I think both are correct (look carefully).

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:31:28 +0100, "Oldun"
wrote:

Has anyone tried one of those mortising attachments which connect to a
planer thicknesser? Elektra Beckum make such a thing and I was wondering how
it compares with a normal bench top mortiser.

If they are any good I could get rid of my mortiser and thicknesser. I would
then have a planer (jointer), thicknesser and mortiser in one compact unit.

This would help greatly as space is diminishing daily in my garage/workshop.

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or experiences from anyone.

Oldun

Is it mortiser or mortiser? I have seen both spellings used and am not sure
which is correct.

Oldun

"Mike" wrote in message
Mortising attachments for a planer? Shopsmith must have a new unit
out. As for the spelling, I think both are correct (look carefully).

Oops!

Damn spelling checker making me look a fool.

Oldun

Duane Bozarth

Oldun wrote:

Has anyone tried one of those mortising attachments which connect to a
planer thicknesser? Elektra Beckum make such a thing and I was wondering how
it compares with a normal bench top mortiser.

Never heard of such an animal (nor the above manufacturer, either, for
that matter). Have a link/reference???

woodworker88

I was just looking and found them easily. They are a european company.
I looked on their site and couldn't find the actual device mentioned.
Here is the link to their thickness planers. The thickness planers
actually are also joiners on top. Look carefully at the bottom couple
on the page.
http://www.metabo.com/eb/com/en/prod..._thicknessers/

Duane Bozarth

woodworker88 wrote:

I was just looking and found them easily. They are a european company.
I looked on their site and couldn't find the actual device mentioned.
Here is the link to their thickness planers. The thickness planers
actually are also joiners on top. Look carefully at the bottom couple
on the page.
http://www.metabo.com/eb/com/en/prod..._thicknessers/

Well, undoubtedly one could, but when somebody asks, it would seem
appropriate for them to provide what info they could...

And what's there to see specifically? Look very similar to others of
like design. The image is too small to see any real detail. I'm still
at a loss as to how a mortising attachment could be coupled w/ a
combination planer/jointer such that there was any real connection
between them functionally.

Think the OP is not quite explaining what he means or is a little
confused. There is no "attactment" that you can fit on a standard
planer/thicknesser unit, that I know of.. Certainly on some combo
machines there is the possibility of a horizontal morticer facility.
Since Elektra Beckum is only sold in Europe, not the US/Canada, try a
UK site.

Noel

Hax Planx

Oldun says...

Has anyone tried one of those mortising attachments which connect to a
planer thicknesser? Elektra Beckum make such a thing and I was wondering how
it compares with a normal bench top mortiser.

If they are any good I could get rid of my mortiser and thicknesser. I would
then have a planer (jointer), thicknesser and mortiser in one compact unit.

This would help greatly as space is diminishing daily in my garage/workshop.

Thanks for any suggestions, comments or experiences from anyone.

Oldun

Is it mortiser or mortiser? I have seen both spellings used and am not sure
which is correct.

You can do dadoes with a jointer, but a mortise? I don't see how unless
there is an extra table and a way to mount a router bit to the cutter
head so that it sticks out the side. Then you might have something sort
of like David Mark's multi-router.
Doug Miller

In article , Hax Planx wrote:
Oldun says...

[...]

Dadoes with a jointer? How? Perhaps you mean rabbets?

--
Regards,

Hax Planx

Doug Miller says...

Dadoes with a jointer? How? Perhaps you mean rabbets?

Well, you could grind down the knives so that it cuts a dado. Did I
just invent a new tool? But, yeah, I meant rabbet.
Oldun

Noel,
As I understand it this site is a world wide site and is not restricted to
American woodworkers only.
Oldun
wrote in message
oups.com...
Think the OP is not quite explaining what he means or is a little
confused. There is no "attactment" that you can fit on a standard
planer/thicknesser unit, that I know of.. Certainly on some combo
machines there is the possibility of a horizontal morticer facility.
Since Elektra Beckum is only sold in Europe, not the US/Canada, try a
UK site.

Noel

no(SPAM)vasys

Oldun wrote:

Duane,

A simple search of the internet would have shown you what I meant. You all
have access to the WORLD wide web so please use it.
Oldun

Okay, I gave it a shot. For those interested there is a slot mortising
attachment for some planer/thicknessers. Check at the bottom of the
page on the following URL:

http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/...HMC3200ci.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Duane Bozarth

Oldun wrote:

Duane,

A simple search of the internet would have shown you what I meant. You all
have access to the WORLD wide web so please use it.

Well, since you asked for input, I figured it only fair for you to let
us know what it was you specifically wanted input on.

But, whatever...
Doug Miller

In article , "Oldun" wrote:
Duane,

A simple search of the internet would have shown you what I meant. You all
have access to the WORLD wide web so please use it.

It would have been simpler still, if you had provided a link to an example of
the sort of thing you were talking about...

--
Regards,

Granted, of course this "is a world wide site and is not resticted to
American woodworkers only". But you missed my point the last time you
posted a question relating to European brands that are not sold in
North America. Certainly, post all you want about UK/Euro specific
machines but I reckon that to receive replys that will be of a greater
assistance to you in your quest a UK site would be of better value.
JMHO, and as I have said in the past this NG is populated mostly (like
99%) by North Americans. Andy Dingley is about the only poster from the
UK that contributes on a regular basis. So, by all means keep posting
but I always find that posting a question in the appropiate NG/Site
generally garners more helpful replys as the subsequent posts to your
original enquiry indicate.
Anyway, today I've learnt that Sheppach do a slot morticing attachment
for a Planer/Thicknesser combo machine although the cost (guts of =A32K
/ $4K at current rates) just may make it a rarity amongst hobby
woodworkers. As a previous poster mentioned a link would've been handy.

Rgds

Noel

Oldun

wrote in message
ups.com...
Granted, of course this "is a world wide site and is not resticted to
American woodworkers only". But you missed my point the last time you
posted a question relating to European brands that are not sold in
North America. Certainly, post all you want about UK/Euro specific
machines but I reckon that to receive replys that will be of a greater
assistance to you in your quest a UK site would be of better value.
JMHO, and as I have said in the past this NG is populated mostly (like
99%) by North Americans. Andy Dingley is about the only poster from the
UK that contributes on a regular basis. So, by all means keep posting
but I always find that posting a question in the appropiate NG/Site
generally garners more helpful replys as the subsequent posts to your
original enquiry indicate.
Anyway, today I've learnt that Sheppach do a slot morticing attachment
for a Planer/Thicknesser combo machine although the cost (guts of £2K
/ $4K at current rates) just may make it a rarity amongst hobby
woodworkers. As a previous poster mentioned a link would've been handy.

Rgds

Noel

Thanks Noel, I would do as you say but my list of newsgroups does not show a
dedicated UK woodworking site.
While we non-Americans put up with reading about things which only relate to
American readers, we accept the situation quietly.
Had I been aware that such mortising attachments were unknown in the US I
would of course have included more info and links to relevant sites.
I admit I was rather ****ed off at some of the less than helpfull replies to
what was a reasonable question.
At least, in a roundabout way I've been able to increase the woodworking
machinery knowledge of some of you American woodworkers.

Cheers

Oldun

No worries. Now you could go and join www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums
It's the only active (50,000 posts) Uk based board that I'm aware of.
Lots of Sheppach and EB users, hobby WWers and pro WWers and maybe even
some Ford Focus Estate owners too.....
On a personal basis I find this NG of great value for wood working in
general and provides a valuable resource answering problems and, as
this thread has proved, learning something new. Our North American
cousins (I'm in not so sunny Ireland) are generally a good bunch of
people.

Rgds

Noel

woodworker88

By the time you're done you could just buy a thickness planer and a
simple attachment for a drill press. That's basically all the
attachment for the planer is.

Duane Bozarth

woodworker88 wrote:

By the time you're done you could just buy a thickness planer and a
simple attachment for a drill press. That's basically all the
attachment for the planer is.

Probably even one of the better benchtop mortisers would be no more
expensive.

The picture looks as if the base/attachment is quite solid and the
moving bed would be nice but I'd have to see one in action to decide
about how well it would actually be to use, I think.
Oldun

Yes Duane, info from someone who had actually used one would have been
great.
Visiting a dealer who has a mortising attachment to try is out of the
question. The nearest is a 12 hour ferry trip or an hours flight away and
very expensive. Thus my request for information from the web.
I already have a thickness planer and a bench top mortiser but could do with
the extra space the option would allow.

Cheers
Oldun
"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
woodworker88 wrote:

By the time you're done you could just buy a thickness planer and a
simple attachment for a drill press. That's basically all the
attachment for the planer is.

Probably even one of the better benchtop mortisers would be no more
expensive.

The picture looks as if the base/attachment is quite solid and the
moving bed would be nice but I'd have to see one in action to decide
about how well it would actually be to use, I think.

Duane Bozarth

Oldun wrote:

Yes Duane, info from someone who had actually used one would have been
great.
Visiting a dealer who has a mortising attachment to try is out of the
question. The nearest is a 12 hour ferry trip or an hours flight away and
very expensive. Thus my request for information from the web.
I already have a thickness planer and a bench top mortiser but could do with
the extra space the option would allow.

Did I understand there's a right-angle gearing to drive a mortising
drill?

Do you know if the depth is tied to the planer head drive as it seems?
If so, I think it would be quite awkward...

But, I'm kinda' guessing as I couldn't really tell from the picture I
saw.

George

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Did I understand there's a right-angle gearing to drive a mortising
drill?

Do you know if the depth is tied to the planer head drive as it seems?
If so, I think it would be quite awkward...

But, I'm kinda' guessing as I couldn't really tell from the picture I
saw.

Nope - the Euro-style slot morticers use the end of the driven shaft with a
router collet. It's a slot morticer, and they are superior in most respects
to vertical machines.

Duane Bozarth

George wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Did I understand there's a right-angle gearing to drive a mortising
drill?

Do you know if the depth is tied to the planer head drive as it seems?
If so, I think it would be quite awkward...

But, I'm kinda' guessing as I couldn't really tell from the picture I
saw.

Nope - the Euro-style slot morticers use the end of the driven shaft with a
router collet. It's a slot morticer, and they are superior in most respects
to vertical machines.

Ah! Makes sense but the info at the link was somewhat confusing and the
picture too small to see what was going on...and while I read it, I
didn't register "slot" even though I knew...

Thanks...
Oldun

"George" george@least wrote in message

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Did I understand there's a right-angle gearing to drive a mortising
drill?

Do you know if the depth is tied to the planer head drive as it seems?
If so, I think it would be quite awkward...

But, I'm kinda' guessing as I couldn't really tell from the picture I
saw.

Nope - the Euro-style slot morticers use the end of the driven shaft with
router collet. It's a slot morticer, and they are superior in most
respects
to vertical machines.

Have you tried one of those slot mortsers George? Any information you can
give would be great. I don't want to buy one and then wish I had kept the
bench mortiser.

I would visit a dealer to see for myself, but living in a remote location
means the cost of going to see one is much more than the cost of buying it.

Remove oxo from my address if you want to reply personally.

Cheers

Oldun

George

"Oldun" wrote in message

Have you tried one of those slot mortsers George? Any information you can
give would be great. I don't want to buy one and then wish I had kept the
bench mortiser.

I would visit a dealer to see for myself, but living in a remote location
means the cost of going to see one is much more than the cost of buying

it.

Keep the bench. It makes square holes. The slot types are certainly precise
at edge slots, and lend themselves well to hold-downs and such for longer
pieces, but with a bit of jigging and a good router, everything is possible
without them. I think the persistence of the slot morticer may have more to
do with the short arbors on tablesaws than absolute utility in the age of
good plunge routers. Folks here have dado sets which plow grooves and make
square tenons easily.

If you're driving, look at a good all-purpose router. Set it up
table-capable, and use it either way. If you have to mortice ends on long
stock, make a jig. I've used 'em when I had to stand on a stool to get my
eyes above the router. Even slotting, what the machine is best at, can be
accomplished fairly well with a tall-fenced tabled router and a couple of
featherboards. Larger stock can be handled by a three-point jig.

Oldun

Thanks George, I have now decided to forget the slot mortiser. Too many
disadvantages and not much space saving it seems.

Also thanks to all those who responded. If nothing else a few more
woodworkers over the pond are now aware of slot mortisers.

Cheers

John

"Oldun" wrote in message

[...]

charlie b

George wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Did I understand there's a right-angle gearing to drive a mortising
drill?

Do you know if the depth is tied to the planer head drive as it seems?
If so, I think it would be quite awkward...

But, I'm kinda' guessing as I couldn't really tell from the picture I
saw.

Nope - the Euro-style slot morticers use the end of the driven shaft with a
router collet. It's a slot morticer, and they are superior in most respects
to vertical machines.

The Robland X-31 has an opposing V chuck on the end ot the
jointer/planer cutter head and an XYZ table that attaches
to the side of the unit. The XYZ table has Left/Right stops
to set the ends of the mortise and a depth stop as well.
The planer/jointer has its own 3 hp TEFC motor that
turns the head at 5000 rpms - low enough to do the
job but not burn the mortise.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/X31pg3.html

If you want to see a great example of how to build a
four panel door using all five functions of the X31
with plenty of loose tenon joints in mortises cut on
the horizontal mortising attachment. Click on
"continue" at the bottom of each page to get o the
are many ideas shown which will probably come
in handy for your future projects.

http://www.geocities.com/PicketFence...op/page16.html

And here's a great jig to enhance the slot mortiser's capabilities.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/.../RaysJIG1.html

Note that the mortising bits for these units are much longer
than a router bit.

charlie b