Joe

Default Broken PC 890 Collet Locking Pin

After a year and a half of table use, I broke the collet locking pin
on my PC 890 router. Probably didn't engage it fully or used a bit
too much muscle tightening a 1/4" shank bit at one time or another.
I've ordered another pin and have it in hand.

Problem is, replacing the pin requires removing a threaded retainer
that has no visible means of applying any torque to unscrew it. It is
just flush with the housing and there are no holes or slots to use a
wrench on.

Has anyone got any suggestions or has run into this before? The parts
list/blowup is located at
http://media.ptg-online.com/20050113080243_8901.pdf. The pin is part
#21 and the retainer screw is part #23.

Thanks!

...Joe L
woodworker88

Just because the retainer has no holes in it now doesn't mean it can't
have something. It depends on how accessible the piece is, but you
might be able to take a small wire drill and drill 2 holes roughly
across from one another. Use a spanner (home made if necessary) and
unscrew the retainer enough to engage it with a small pair of locking
pliers with tape on the jaws to prevent damaging the threads.

Joe

On 16 Apr 2005 12:44:51 -0700, "woodworker88"
wrote:

Just because the retainer has no holes in it now doesn't mean it can't
have something.

It's accessable. Off the drill press I go. Thanks for the
suggestion.

...Joe L
Joe

According to Porter-Cable, the retainer is pressed in and must be
replaced at a service center.

So the word is - don't break your collet locking pin on an 890 unless
you want to send it off to be repaired. And it WILL break with
regular use. The steel is not very fatigue resistant being stressed
in both directions and can't take the force necessary to secure a bit
to the point where you can be sure it won't back out and ruin the cut
or your day.

My best advice is not to use the pin at all and use two straight
wrenchs to tighten the collets. I ordered the bent type wrench and it
does not fit unless you have a very large hole in your table. Even
then, it does not fit well enough to really torque down a large bit.

...Joe L