Tom Watson

Default Trolls - And Learning To Box

When I was a skinny young fella of twelve, my Daddy grabbed hold of me
and sent me down the path of the Sweet Science.

He'd been a Golden Gloves boxer, himself - boxed on aircraft carriers
in the Pacific in the Great War - and he thought that he would give
his young son an edge - by introducing him to the world of sweat and
Everlast.

I have to admit that I loved it.

I fought until I was seventeen, did well enough to never have a
problem with street bullies or other fools, but wasn't good enough to
go to The Garden.

I got my nose broken twice, luckily in different directions, so it
looks half-assed straight now. (watch out for body punchers who decide
to go upstairs.)

Boxing was a great part of my education growing up - but it did not
prepare me for what would happen on UseNet.

I still hit the heavy bag from time to time (twice a week - maybe),
and work the speed almost every day, for about fifteen minutes. (
those of you are above the age of fifty know that this is more than
enough.) I'll confess that the jumprope has been consigned to other
tasks.

I know that we can't hit these little punks - but I do have a dream of
a three minute round with a Troll.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Dave Balderstone

Way to go, Tom. You just keep on poking them with a stick. I'm sure
we'll all be *SO* grateful when they decide another three-week pogrom
attacking you is in order, that we'll all be rushing to your defence...

The *only* way to deal with trolls is to ignore them, you fargin' idjit.

J. Clarke

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Way to go, Tom. You just keep on poking them with a stick. I'm sure
we'll all be *SO* grateful when they decide another three-week pogrom
attacking you is in order, that we'll all be rushing to your defence...

The *only* way to deal with trolls is to ignore them, you fargin' idjit.

The only _legal_ way. A suitable application of high explosive has much to
recommend it.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Upscale

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

I know that we can't hit these little punks - but I do have a dream of
a three minute round with a Troll.

I feel your pain. *My* dream is to be able to reach out from a monitor
screen and give some scamming punk a slap on the face. Can you just imagine
the shock he'd experience? Either that or have my image appear on the
screen, tell him he's a scamming piece of sh*t and then have his monitor
burn out with a suitable puff of smoke emanating from it.

Dreams. Aren't they great?

Tom Watson

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 01:45:24 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

have my image appear on the
screen, tell him he's a scamming piece of sh*t and then have his monitor
burn out with a suitable puff of smoke emanating from it.

Dreams. Aren't they great?

Wow. I like your dream better than mine.

I like the smoke part the best.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

Tom Watson

Try not to **** yourself Dave.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

Upscale

"SHOOTER1" wrote in message
Why destroy the monitor? Just the appearence of your face informing him

of
what you think of him and adding: "I also know where you live", should

make
him stop and think.

I feel your pain. *My* dream is to be able to reach out from a monitor
screen and give some scamming punk a slap on the face. Can you just

imagine
the shock he'd experience? Either that or have my image appear on the
screen, tell him he's a scamming piece of sh*t and then have his monitor
burn out with a suitable puff of smoke emanating from it.

That would only cause a little mental anguish. I think for a spammer to be
properly punished, he should feel some actual pain, physical or financial.

BobS

Actually, with the help of one of the Aussies in the group, we were able to
track down one real ass-hole that was plaguing this group about two years
back. Even though he was using an anonymous remailer service, several
emails and calls to the State Attorney's office along with a compilation of
this idiots posts, and they determined he was breaking several laws.

The foreign remailer service cooperated with the State, and we never heard
from that particular scum again.

Doubtful we'll ever stop all the scumbags but when they do break the law -
there are ways to get to them if you really want to. They are not as
invisible as they may think.

Bob S.

Why destroy the monitor? Just the appearence of your face informing him

of
what you think of him and adding: "I also know where you live", should

make
him stop and think.

George Max

wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

I know that we can't hit these little punks - but I do have a dream of
a three minute round with a Troll.

I feel your pain. *My* dream is to be able to reach out from a monitor
screen and give some scamming punk a slap on the face. Can you just imagine
the shock he'd experience? Either that or have my image appear on the
screen, tell him he's a scamming piece of sh*t and then have his monitor
burn out with a suitable puff of smoke emanating from it.

Dreams. Aren't they great?

I like this. It's sorta like that James Bond movie "Golden Eye" where
the guy at the Russian dish facility was screwing around on the
internet with the FBI. At some point he sends a "spike" that according
to that film destroyed the target computer. Kinda brings a smile to
my face when I think of using such technology as retribution for
spammers (usenet and email)
Vito Kuhn

"Tom Watson" wrote:

[...]

Sometimes the immature little trolls cross the line and it becomes
harassment. When that happens, something can be done about the problem. I
encourage anyone that has been personally harassed by these swines to
email me, regardless of any personal differences we might have had in the
past.

VK
-linux_lad

Tom Watson wrote:
When I was a skinny young fella of twelve, my Daddy grabbed hold of me
and sent me down the path of the Sweet Science.

snipped for speed

I know that we can't hit these little punks - but I do have a dream of
a three minute round with a Troll.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

Think of a chubby, pasty, thirty year old chainsmoking virgin who lives
in his mother's basement and hasn't seen sunlight in a year.

http://foilhats.com/trolls.php

--
-linux_lad
To verify that this post isn't forged, click he

BobS

Groggy,

I do think he learned a lesson. Your super-sleuthing was the key element to
locating him. I do believe his employer did not appreciate that he was
using company resources to do his trolling and whatever else the State
Atty's office thought he was doing that was illegal.
Bob S.

"Groggy" wrote in message
He did go rather quiet, didn't he - Lol.

Ahhh, the good old days of troll-wollopin' - I'm mistin' up Bahb!

cheers,

Groggy

Tom Watson

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:51:46 GMT, Groggy
wrote:

He did go rather quiet, didn't he - Lol.

Groggster:

I'd like to hear the story.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Dave in Fairfax

Tom Watson wrote:
Groggster:
I'd like to hear the story.

I misremember, did it turn out to be the guy it said it was or his
"buddy" in NY (as I remember)?

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
BobS

The short version,

The person worked for a company in downstate NY that did web design and
such. He was hitting this group and others with a lot of ugly stuff using
his employers resources (internet access, computers and time). In addition,
he was using other's real names and email addresses and libeling people in
his posts. He was also using an anonymous remailer service in an attempt to
hide his real identity.

Through some super sleuthing from the dude down under, he was able to
determine the information needed to nail this scumbag down. Since I live in
NY and was on the hit list, I could file a complaint against him. In case
you haven't heard, we have a State Attorney (Elliot Spitzer) that you really
don't want to cross swords with....

A number of the postings and other information were sent to the Attorney's
Generals office followed by several phone calls. Discussions between the
remailer service and the AG's office evidently convinced the remailer to
cooperate with their efforts.

The point being that when someone goes over the line and does do
omething - illegal - and you have a State Attorney's office that is well
versed on the internet - these types of individuals can be dealt with.
Note, that this person went way beyond just being an annoying asshole and
decided that he was immune of the laws because he was using a foreign
remailer service. He found out that he was not invisible and that remailers
can be asked to cooperate and obviously did so in this case.

It took about 30 days, several hours of time with emails and phone calls and
no guarantee's of them being able to do anything. So I was surprised when I
received a call from the case worker saying the problem had been resolved to
their satisfaction. There were some other minor details like - the
individual no longer works at the company. Don't know if this scum ever
came back to haunt the group but I do not recall seeing any of his
"signature" posts since this happened.

Bob S.

"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message
Tom Watson wrote:
Groggster:
I'd like to hear the story.

I misremember, did it turn out to be the guy it said it was or his
"buddy" in NY (as I remember)?

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/

Dave in Fairfax

BobS wrote:
snip
The person worked for a company in downstate NY that did web design and
such.

snip
That's pretty much how I remembered it. We stopped tlaking about
it on-line to avoid alerting him and I fell out of the loop at
that point so I wasn't sure of some the background stuff. Thanks
for the back-fill.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Tom Watson

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:31:14 GMT, "BobS" wrote:

The short version,

(respectfully snipped)

Thanks.

It's nice to know that things turn out for the good some of the time.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

Groggy

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:00:37 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:31:14 GMT, "BobS" wrote:

The short version,

(respectfully snipped)

Thanks.

It's nice to know that things turn out for the good some of the time.

Hi Tom,

I came back to this thread a little late. This was the disgusting
little cretin known affectionately as Mr Poopy Pants, I am sure you
will remember his particular signature links in posts.

It was most gratifying that Bob was able to get the DA interested and
to have him 'disappear'. We didn't advertise it at the time as we
didn't want the wannabees to try their luck.

Groggy (who has a troll etched in his mouse, and hopes one day his
mouse will resemble the side of the Memphis Belle)
Tom Watson

wrote:

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:31:14 GMT, "BobS" wrote:

The short version,

(respectfully snipped)

Thanks.

It's nice to know that things turn out for the good some of the time.

Hi Tom,

I came back to this thread a little late. This was the disgusting
little cretin known affectionately as Mr Poopy Pants, I am sure you
will remember his particular signature links in posts.

It was most gratifying that Bob was able to get the DA interested and
to have him 'disappear'. We didn't advertise it at the time as we
didn't want the wannabees to try their luck.

Groggy (who has a troll etched in his mouse, and hopes one day his
mouse will resemble the side of the Memphis Belle)

I understand about not wanting to advertise it but you and BobS
deserve much praise and thanks for your efforts and results.

You certainly have mine.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Groggy

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 05:09:58 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:
I understand about not wanting to advertise it but you and BobS
deserve much praise and thanks for your efforts and results.

What? You didn't see the troll's head on the stake as you entered?
Maybe I should ask JOAT to make a tiki so we can hang it on that.

Thanks for the kind words Tom.

Greg

[Elmer Fudd mode /on]

Shhh, be werry werry quiet, we're huntin' trolls ... mwahahahaha

[Elmer Fudd mode /off]