Rob S

Default Dewalt Circular Saw

I want a circular saw blade, primarily to make fine finish rip cuts in
hardwood. I have a DW62 which takes 184mm blades. The standard Dewalt
18 teeth blade cuts a little rough. I see I can easily get a Freud 24T
or 40T general purpose blade. Does anyone have a recommendation on
whether the 24T or 40T is best? Or on any other rip blade I could get
in the UK.

By the way, the Bevel adjustment on the Dewalt looks a bit fiddly to
get an exact 90 degrees cut. And the degree markings don't seem to
align properly. I've still some more playing around to do, but a post
of any others experiences very welcome.

Thanks
Rob

hylourgos

Hi Rob,

A "finish" rip cut is a rather tall order for a circular saw. A TS with
a very good blade (e.g., WW II) will do it, otherwise plan on cleaning
the cut with a plane or router, that's my 2=A2.

But if you're determined, a combo blade will make a more "finished" cut
than a ripping blade, so you might try the 24T Freud. You don't mention
what wood and how thick it is, and that's an important consideration.

Another thing you might try is to use an ultra-thin rip or combo blade,
such as you find for cordless saws (6-1/2" dia, but again this depends
on the thickness of what you're cutting). The thinner blade might be
able to push a "combo" tooth configuration through the wood you have.

Good luck,
H=2E

Rob S wrote:
I want a circular saw blade, primarily to make fine finish rip cuts

in
hardwood. I have a DW62 which takes 184mm blades. The standard

Dewalt
18 teeth blade cuts a little rough. I see I can easily get a Freud

24T
or 40T general purpose blade. Does anyone have a recommendation on
whether the 24T or 40T is best? Or on any other rip blade I could

get
in the UK.

By the way, the Bevel adjustment on the Dewalt looks a bit fiddly to
get an exact 90 degrees cut. And the degree markings don't seem to
align properly. I've still some more playing around to do, but a

post
of any others experiences very welcome.
=20
Thanks=20
Rob

Prometheus

On 3 Apr 2005 13:55:59 -0700, "Rob S" wrote:

I want a circular saw blade, primarily to make fine finish rip cuts in
hardwood. I have a DW62 which takes 184mm blades. The standard Dewalt
18 teeth blade cuts a little rough. I see I can easily get a Freud 24T
or 40T general purpose blade. Does anyone have a recommendation on
whether the 24T or 40T is best? Or on any other rip blade I could get
in the UK.

By the way, the Bevel adjustment on the Dewalt looks a bit fiddly to
get an exact 90 degrees cut. And the degree markings don't seem to
align properly. I've still some more playing around to do, but a post
of any others experiences very welcome.

I just use a square on mine, and I've never had a problem. I'm not
sure that I ever used the degree markings- I never trust those things.

Thanks
Rob

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Rob S

Thanks for all your tips. I shall try again at the weekend. The
results I had in 3/4 " Black Walnut were not too bad, but I reckon I
should now get them better
Regards
Rob