DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Alaskan Chainsaw Mill (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/586940-alaskan-chainsaw-mill.html)

John Grossbohlin[_4_] March 2nd 17 11:01 PM

Alaskan Chainsaw Mill

2 Attachment(s)
The log is ash and is about 27-28" wide. Note the winch that I use to pull
the mill through the log... much easier than pushing it and yields a better
and smoother cut!

G. Ross March 3rd 17 12:39 PM

Alaskan Chainsaw Mill

John Grossbohlin wrote:
The log is ash and is about 27-28" wide. Note the winch that I use to pull
the mill through the log... much easier than pushing it and yields a better
and smoother cut!

Nice setup. How do you manage those last 6 inches?
Looks like you are getting some great lumber.

--
GW Ross

John Grossbohlin[_4_] March 3rd 17 09:59 PM

Alaskan Chainsaw Mill

"G. Ross" wrote in message

John Grossbohlin wrote:
The log is ash and is about 27-28" wide. Note the winch that I use to
pull
the mill through the log... much easier than pushing it and yields a
better
and smoother cut!

Nice setup. How do you manage those last 6 inches?
Looks like you are getting some great lumber.

For the last bit I push the saw off and keep the back guide bar on the log
so it doesn't tip up as the front guide bar leaves the log. The same thing
is done in reverse to start the cut. It's not too difficult...