DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sweetgum bowls (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/357544-sweetgum-bowls.html)

G. Ross June 8th 13 09:06 PM

Sweetgum bowls

4 Attachment(s)
A couple of bowls I recently finished.
--
 GW Ross

 Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,
 124C, is blocking the driveway.

jloomis[_2_] June 8th 13 11:45 PM

Sweetgum bowls

Those bowls are really nice quality, and great looking.
really nice work.
john

G. Ross June 9th 13 02:48 AM

Sweetgum bowls

jloomis wrote:
Those bowls are really nice quality, and great looking.
really nice work.
john

Thanks!

--
 GW Ross

 Do not call up that which you cannot
 put on hold.

Ed Pawlowski June 9th 13 03:35 AM

Sweetgum bowls

On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 16:06:46 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

A couple of bowls I recently finished.

Very nice! Both the wood and the workmanship.

G. Ross June 9th 13 12:00 PM

Sweetgum bowls

wrote:

A couple of bowls I recently finished.

Very nice! Both the wood and the workmanship.

Thanks Ed. I can't take credit for the wood, though. People around
here can't believe I found a use for sweetgum. It is considered a
weed tree.

Leon[_5_] June 9th 13 03:28 PM

Sweetgum bowls

"G. Ross" wrote:
A couple of bowls I recently finished.

--
 GW Ross

 Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,
 124C, is blocking the driveway.

Very nice? I hope to one day turn bowls, providing you don't scare me off
with my asking you how many approximate hours, start to finish. :-)

G. Ross June 9th 13 04:23 PM

Sweetgum bowls

Leon wrote:
"G. wrote:
A couple of bowls I recently finished.

--
 GW Ross

 Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,
 124C, is blocking the driveway.

Very nice? I hope to one day turn bowls, providing you don't scare me off
with my asking you how many approximate hours, start to finish. :-)

Cutting down tree, sawing into 18" blocks, sawing blocks lengthwise
twice to cut out pith=1 day with sharp saws.
Cutting circle out of blank, rough turning it=45 min.
Drying in paper bag until weight loss stops=2-5 months. I weigh them
every 2 weeks. This morning's weighing yielded 12 large rough bowls
which weighed the same or slightly more than last weighing. They were
roughed out in Feb.
Finish turning large bowl with sanding to 600 grit =1 day. finishing
top, reversing on vacuum chuck and finishing bottom=1-2 hr. The reason
I can't finish it all in 1 day is that I put on LV tung oil sealer
after sanding. It takes overnight before can do the shellac/wax
finish. The tung oil brings out the grain.
Hauling off off-cuts, shavings and sanding dust--continuous.
Sharpening tools on belt sander--every 5 minutes.
Seeing smile on SWMBO's face--priceless.

Leon[_7_] June 10th 13 03:08 PM

Sweetgum bowls

On 6/9/2013 10:23 AM, G. Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
"G. wrote:
[...]

I'm in a new neighborhood, it will be a while before the trees are big
enough to cut down. :~)

Thanks for the run down.

Kevin Miller[_2_] June 10th 13 07:55 PM

Sweetgum bowls

On 06/08/2013 12:06 PM, G. Ross wrote:
A couple of bowls I recently finished.

Nice. What finish did you use?

I particularly like the calabash although both are a job well done...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

G. Ross June 10th 13 09:34 PM

Sweetgum bowls

Kevin Miller wrote:
On 06/08/2013 12:06 PM, G. Ross wrote:
A couple of bowls I recently finished.

Nice. What finish did you use?

I particularly like the calabash although both are a job well done...

...Kevin

I sand to 600, apply LV polymerized tung oil sealer. After sitting
overnight it is dry and then I steel wool it (0000) and apply Hut
crystal coat with a paper towel. After reversing and finishing the
bottom (no tung oil) I buff it with Hut hard wax stick. It gives a
nice sheen but not a plastic look.

--
 GW Ross

 A friend: someone who likes you even