Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Sweetgum bowls

A couple of bowls I recently finished.
--
 GW Ross

 Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,
 124C, is blocking the driveway.

Attached Thumbnails
Sweetgum bowls-sweetgum-bowl-jpg  Sweetgum bowls-sweetgum-bowl-bs-jpg  Sweetgum bowls-sweetgum-bowl-cs-jpg  Sweetgum bowls-sweetgum-bowl-ds-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Those bowls are really nice quality, and great looking.
really nice work.
john

"G. Ross" wrote in message

A couple of bowls I recently finished.
--
 GW Ross

 Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,
 124C, is blocking the driveway.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

jloomis wrote:
Those bowls are really nice quality, and great looking.
really nice work.
john

Thanks!

--
 GW Ross

 Do not call up that which you cannot
 put on hold.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 16:06:46 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

A couple of bowls I recently finished.

Very nice! Both the wood and the workmanship.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

A couple of bowls I recently finished.

Very nice! Both the wood and the workmanship.

Thanks Ed. I can't take credit for the wood, though. People around
here can't believe I found a use for sweetgum. It is considered a
weed tree.

--
 GW Ross

 Do not call up that which you cannot
 put on hold.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"G. Ross" wrote:
A couple of bowls I recently finished.

--
 GW Ross

 Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,
 124C, is blocking the driveway.

Very nice? I hope to one day turn bowls, providing you don't scare me off
with my asking you how many approximate hours, start to finish. :-)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"G. wrote:
A couple of bowls I recently finished.

--
 GW Ross

 Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,
 124C, is blocking the driveway.

Very nice? I hope to one day turn bowls, providing you don't scare me off
with my asking you how many approximate hours, start to finish. :-)

Cutting down tree, sawing into 18" blocks, sawing blocks lengthwise
twice to cut out pith=1 day with sharp saws.
Cutting circle out of blank, rough turning it=45 min.
Drying in paper bag until weight loss stops=2-5 months. I weigh them
every 2 weeks. This morning's weighing yielded 12 large rough bowls
which weighed the same or slightly more than last weighing. They were
roughed out in Feb.
Finish turning large bowl with sanding to 600 grit =1 day. finishing
top, reversing on vacuum chuck and finishing bottom=1-2 hr. The reason
I can't finish it all in 1 day is that I put on LV tung oil sealer
after sanding. It takes overnight before can do the shellac/wax
finish. The tung oil brings out the grain.
Hauling off off-cuts, shavings and sanding dust--continuous.
Sharpening tools on belt sander--every 5 minutes.
Seeing smile on SWMBO's face--priceless.
--
 GW Ross

 Do not call up that which you cannot
 put on hold.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 6/9/2013 10:23 AM, G. Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
"G. wrote:
[...]

I'm in a new neighborhood, it will be a while before the trees are big
enough to cut down. :~)

Thanks for the run down.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 06/08/2013 12:06 PM, G. Ross wrote:
A couple of bowls I recently finished.

Nice. What finish did you use?

I particularly like the calabash although both are a job well done...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kevin Miller wrote:
On 06/08/2013 12:06 PM, G. Ross wrote:
A couple of bowls I recently finished.

Nice. What finish did you use?

I particularly like the calabash although both are a job well done...

...Kevin

I sand to 600, apply LV polymerized tung oil sealer. After sitting
overnight it is dry and then I steel wool it (0000) and apply Hut
crystal coat with a paper towel. After reversing and finishing the
bottom (no tung oil) I buff it with Hut hard wax stick. It gives a
nice sheen but not a plastic look.

--
 GW Ross

 A friend: someone who likes you even
 after they know you.

Sweetgum bowl 3 pictures Gerald Ross[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 October 3rd 10 10:56 AM
Sweetgum gloat Gerald Ross[_3_] Woodturning 3 June 23rd 09 03:04 AM
Sweetgum bowl Gerald Ross[_2_] Woodturning 10 April 23rd 09 02:36 AM
bowls Kevin Cleary Woodturning 17 February 21st 06 09:13 PM
Turning Sweetgum Stephen DiCenso Woodturning 3 September 15th 04 03:39 AM