Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Getting back to my chest of drawers - assembly_line_of_drawers.jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Getting back to my chest of drawers - assembly_line_of_drawers.jpg (1/1)-assembly_line_of_drawers-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

You are making me envious with all your production.
I see sawdust on the floor and how do you keep the finish so nice.
I always get into trouble with my finish but I do have a cold garage and
humid....
which slows the dry time and allows particulates to settle.
One day....i will get a vacuum system....until then.....I try
john

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 06:57:39 -0700, "jloomis" wrote:

You are making me envious with all your production.

Since I'm retired now, I have the time to devote to woodworking. My favorite
uncle was a cabinet maker and I always envied him working in his shop. He had
far more skill and experience than I'll ever have, but I try!

I see sawdust on the floor and how do you keep the finish so nice.

The camera lies! You really only need to worry about dust for the last coat of
finish, since you sand between coats. For those days I plan to not disturb
anything, and tip toe around carefully in my work! For projects this big I'm
confined to the dirty shop, but for smaller pieces I finish them in the laundry
room.

I always get into trouble with my finish but I do have a cold garage and
humid....

Finish is probably the biggest challenge. I still haven't achieved a "piano
shine" on anything I've done, but I'm experimenting and learning all the time. I
just bought some 600 wet/dry paper to play with, and some polishing compound,
and I have a little car wax buffer machine I can try as well... One of my
grandfathers was a "French polisher", but I never met him. Now THATS a lot of
work!!

which slows the dry time and allows particulates to settle.
One day....i will get a vacuum system....until then.....I try

I have 2 Shop Vacs, one is an old metal one and it rusted out, but the motor
unit is still good. One of these days I plan to buy some hose and a large can
and turn it into a central shop vac. One of the problems of using a local vac is
the exhaust air blows dust all over the shop! Another option is to get a dust
bag for a large fan (Lee Valley sells one) and set up a giant air cleaner.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"jloomis" wrote in message
You are making me envious with all your production.
I see sawdust on the floor and how do you keep the finish so nice.
I always get into trouble with my finish but I do have a cold garage and
humid....
which slows the dry time and allows particulates to settle.
One day....i will get a vacuum system....until then.....I try
john
wrote in message

No explanation for the method used here but if you use a gel varnish you can
almost throw a hand full of saw dust across the varnished surface 10~15
minutes after applying. Recoat time 3~4 hours.

Getting back to my chest of drawers - assembly_line_of_drawers.jpg (0/1) [email protected] Woodworking Plans and Photos 1 March 22nd 11 06:34 AM
chest of drawers Jeff Woodworking 16 December 20th 07 12:32 PM
CHEST OF DRAWERS. J T Woodworking 0 December 31st 05 12:29 AM
CHEST OF DRAWERS J T Woodworking 0 August 26th 05 03:04 AM
CHEST OF DRAWERS J T Woodworking 0 January 5th 05 10:40 AM