Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Gun cabinet

This was one of my earlier projects and my goodness, was it ever
heavy. The glass was 1/4", and added a great weight and sense of
quality to the doors.

The wood is cherry and the coating is tung oil. There's really
nothing unique about the gun cabinet with the exception of the
back of the upper part. That's 1/4" solid cherry, rather than a
plywood. Where the cabinet touches a long gun, there is a
partially inlaid leather insert as well. The drawers in the lower
cabinet are lined with green wool felt and are used for storing
ammunition, handguns and the inevitable spare parts.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Attached Thumbnails
Gun cabinet-gun_ca%7E2-jpg  Gun cabinet-gun_ca%7E3-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Very nice, and I like the use of tung oil finish......
I take it you must hunt.
What is in season these winter days?
jloomis
"Nonny" wrote in message
This was one of my earlier projects and my goodness, was it ever
heavy. The glass was 1/4", and added a great weight and sense of
quality to the doors.

The wood is cherry and the coating is tung oil. There's really
nothing unique about the gun cabinet with the exception of the
back of the upper part. That's 1/4" solid cherry, rather than a
plywood. Where the cabinet touches a long gun, there is a
partially inlaid leather insert as well. The drawers in the lower
cabinet are lined with green wool felt and are used for storing
ammunition, handguns and the inevitable spare parts.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Nonny" wrote in message
This was one of my earlier projects and my goodness, was it ever
heavy. The glass was 1/4", and added a great weight and sense of
quality to the doors.

MUCH nicer than big, ugly steel safe. And it is not politically correct
either.

I like it. It looks like gun cabinets used to look.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Nonny wrote:
This was one of my earlier projects and my goodness, was it
ever heavy. The glass was 1/4", and added a great weight and
sense of quality to the doors.

The wood is cherry and the coating is tung oil. There's really
nothing unique about the gun cabinet with the exception of the
back of the upper part. That's 1/4" solid cherry, rather than
a plywood. Where the cabinet touches a long gun, there is a
partially inlaid leather insert as well. The drawers in the
lower cabinet are lined with green wool felt and are used for
storing ammunition, handguns and the inevitable spare parts.

The gun cabinet was in my office, which was kept locked, except
when I was inside. I figured that if I ever wanted to have it
where folk could get inside, that it'd be simple enough to put in
a lock mechanism then.