DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ShopSmith - IMG_1237.JPG (0/1) (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking-plans-photos/287506-shopsmith-img_1237-jpg-0-1-a.html)

bumhead September 18th 09 02:47 AM

ShopSmith - IMG_1237.JPG (0/1)

ShopSmith Model 10E given to me. In terrible shape.
Don't know if it is worth restoring.

George (aka Bumhead)

Lee Michaels September 18th 09 03:07 AM

ShopSmith - IMG_1237.JPG (0/1)

"bumhead" wrote in message
ShopSmith Model 10E given to me. In terrible shape.
Don't know if it is worth restoring.

I guess it depends on your access to other tools. If you have anything at
all at your disposal, I wouldn't bother.

Puckdropper[_2_] September 18th 09 03:45 AM

ShopSmith - IMG_1237.JPG (0/1)

bumhead wrote in
:

ShopSmith Model 10E given to me. In terrible shape.
Don't know if it is worth restoring.

George (aka Bumhead)

If the moving parts all move and there's not enough rust to compromise the
structure, then I'd look in to it. This looks like a project that you do
for the fun of resurrecting a piece of old equipment, not the actual value
of the equipment once it's done.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin[_2_] September 18th 09 03:56 AM

ShopSmith - IMG_1237.JPG (0/1)

"bumhead" wrote in message
ShopSmith Model 10E given to me. In terrible shape.
Don't know if it is worth restoring.

George (aka Bumhead)

If you're into to old tools and projects fine... otherwise, if you really
want a Shopsmith they pop up on Craig's List regularly around here and my
father tells me they are all over his area in FL. If coming out of an estate
they practically give them away... sometimes with lots of add-ons like the
bandsaw, jointer, thickness planer, extra tables, etc.

See http://owwm.com/ for restoration ideas.

John

Leon[_6_] September 18th 09 05:05 AM

ShopSmith - IMG_1237.JPG (0/1)

"bumhead" wrote in message
ShopSmith Model 10E given to me. In terrible shape.
Don't know if it is worth restoring.

George (aka Bumhead)

What is your time worth, you can probably get a good used one for less
effort.

Brad Bruce[_2_] September 18th 09 01:28 PM

ShopSmith - IMG_1237.JPG (0/1)

bumhead wrote in
:

ShopSmith Model 10E given to me. In terrible shape.
Don't know if it is worth restoring.

George (aka Bumhead)

A quick rub down with Rust Buster http://www.laco.com/productDetail49.aspx
on the rails should tell you if it's worth going any farther.

I've seen a lot of surface rust just rub away with this. I have NO idea
how it works, but it does.

Brad

jloomis September 18th 09 03:01 PM

ShopSmith - IMG_1237.JPG (0/1)

I hear these work great for boat anchors.

forgive me......I understand sometimes the desire to "restore"

What a challenge.
john

bumhead September 25th 09 06:02 AM

ShopSmith - IMG_1237.JPG (0/1)

Thanks Joe. This thing is in really bad shape so I think I won't
waste my time.
It was given to me when a friend was cleaning out an old garage.
IF ANYONE WANTS IT THEY CAN HAVE IT FOR THE SAME PRICE.

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:13:12 -0700, wrote:

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 20:47:23 -0500, bumhead
wrote:

ShopSmith Model 10E given to me. In terrible shape.
Don't know if it is worth restoring.

George (aka Bumhead)

Hi George:

If this unit was in the "Mark V" series (model 500, 510, 620, etc.) I
think it would make sense to restore it. The 10E I have never been
impressed with and wouldn't waste my time on it. I have owned/used
shopsmith Mark V series units since the '70s, currently have a
shopsmith 510 and a Supershop (Beefier shopsmith clone) far better
designs than the 10E, IMHO. regards, Joe

Bob the Tomato October 15th 09 03:59 AM

ShopSmith - IMG_1237.JPG (0/1)

Sorry, came in late.

There is a Yahoo group on restoring Shopsmith 10E's and 10ER's. They
are somewhat collectible and really neat old machines. Even if this
one is not worth saving, it has a number of accessories that are. (It
looks like you might need some new rails, but I've seen worse machines
restored to factory-new.) A bead blasting would really uncover it.

I am working on restoring the rusty one I inherited from my dad and
granddad. It's been in the family 3 generations and still works fine,
but isn't very pretty. For a look at a restored unit:
http://mkctools.com/10er48843.htm

If you have not scrapped it, give a shout on the Yahoo Group
"SS10ERusers". Someone will be over to pick it up in about 20
seconds. :-)

Bob