Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default ShopSmith - IMG_1237.JPG (0/1)

ShopSmith Model 10E given to me. In terrible shape.
Don't know if it is worth restoring.

George (aka Bumhead)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"bumhead" wrote in message
ShopSmith Model 10E given to me. In terrible shape.
Don't know if it is worth restoring.

I guess it depends on your access to other tools. If you have anything at
all at your disposal, I wouldn't bother.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

bumhead wrote in
:

ShopSmith Model 10E given to me. In terrible shape.
Don't know if it is worth restoring.

George (aka Bumhead)

If the moving parts all move and there's not enough rust to compromise the
structure, then I'd look in to it. This looks like a project that you do
for the fun of resurrecting a piece of old equipment, not the actual value
of the equipment once it's done.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"bumhead" wrote in message
ShopSmith Model 10E given to me. In terrible shape.
Don't know if it is worth restoring.

George (aka Bumhead)

If you're into to old tools and projects fine... otherwise, if you really
want a Shopsmith they pop up on Craig's List regularly around here and my
father tells me they are all over his area in FL. If coming out of an estate
they practically give them away... sometimes with lots of add-ons like the
bandsaw, jointer, thickness planer, extra tables, etc.

See http://owwm.com/ for restoration ideas.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"bumhead" wrote in message
ShopSmith Model 10E given to me. In terrible shape.
Don't know if it is worth restoring.

George (aka Bumhead)

What is your time worth, you can probably get a good used one for less
effort.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

bumhead wrote in
:

ShopSmith Model 10E given to me. In terrible shape.
Don't know if it is worth restoring.

George (aka Bumhead)

A quick rub down with Rust Buster http://www.laco.com/productDetail49.aspx
on the rails should tell you if it's worth going any farther.

I've seen a lot of surface rust just rub away with this. I have NO idea
how it works, but it does.

Brad
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I hear these work great for boat anchors.

forgive me......I understand sometimes the desire to "restore"

What a challenge.
john
"bumhead" wrote in message
ShopSmith Model 10E given to me. In terrible shape.
Don't know if it is worth restoring.

George (aka Bumhead)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Sorry, came in late.

There is a Yahoo group on restoring Shopsmith 10E's and 10ER's. They
are somewhat collectible and really neat old machines. Even if this
one is not worth saving, it has a number of accessories that are. (It
looks like you might need some new rails, but I've seen worse machines
restored to factory-new.) A bead blasting would really uncover it.

I am working on restoring the rusty one I inherited from my dad and
granddad. It's been in the family 3 generations and still works fine,
but isn't very pretty. For a look at a restored unit:
http://mkctools.com/10er48843.htm

If you have not scrapped it, give a shout on the Yahoo Group
"SS10ERusers". Someone will be over to pick it up in about 20
seconds. :-)

Bob

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 20:47:23 -0500, bumhead
wrote:

ShopSmith Model 10E given to me. In terrible shape.
Don't know if it is worth restoring.

George (aka Bumhead)

Value of used Shopsmith oswin2461 Woodworking 89 April 5th 19 02:50 AM
Shopsmith Joseph Handy Woodturning 6 April 7th 06 03:22 PM
Shopsmith Ronald L. Schloss Woodworking 6 August 3rd 05 05:28 PM
shopsmith Carl Stigers Woodworking 1 November 1st 04 01:05 AM
shopsmith [email protected] Woodworking 3 September 11th 04 11:06 AM