Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default First try

As I begin my journey down this slipper slope, , , , I find myself not
creating for any particular reason other than to screw around with the
lathe. This lathe has seen more use since May of last year that either of
the two the last 30 years.
Any way the WW show always have some one turning miniature goblets and I
thought I'd like to try. Attached is my first attempt of the goblet and a
needle box. No instruction on either.

Is it normal to suddenly understand how the skew works and begin getting
good results with no EXCITING incidents?

Attached Thumbnails
First try-2009_04170017-%5B640x480%5D-jpg  First try-2009_04170015-%5B640x480%5D-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Is it normal to suddenly understand how the skew works and begin getting
good results with no EXCITING incidents?

It was for me. I tried for some time, w/lots of EXCITEMENT, then all of
a sudden it clicked. As natural and easy as falling off a log.

Not that I'm any sort of Raffan w/the skew, but it's no longer a
fearsome implement of destruction...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
As I begin my journey down this slipper slope, , , , I find myself not
creating for any particular reason other than to screw around with the
lathe. This lathe has seen more use since May of last year that either
of the two the last 30 years.
Any way the WW show always have some one turning miniature goblets and I
thought I'd like to try. Attached is my first attempt of the goblet and
a needle box. No instruction on either.

Is it normal to suddenly understand how the skew works and begin getting
good results with no EXCITING incidents?

Looks good Leon. It is always exiting to be able to do something that was
once an obscure mystery.

I should point out though, if you are going to do some serious drinking, it
may require a larger goblet.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
news
Leon wrote:

Is it normal to suddenly understand how the skew works and begin getting
good results with no EXCITING incidents?

It was for me. I tried for some time, w/lots of EXCITEMENT, then all of a
sudden it clicked. As natural and easy as falling off a log.

Not that I'm any sort of Raffan w/the skew, but it's no longer a fearsome
implement of destruction...

Yeah! I no longer have to poke it with a stick to see if it is in a good
mood or not. LOL

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
As I begin my journey down this slipper slope, , , , I find myself not
creating for any particular reason other than to screw around with the
lathe. This lathe has seen more use since May of last year that either
of the two the last 30 years.
Any way the WW show always have some one turning miniature goblets and I
thought I'd like to try. Attached is my first attempt of the goblet and
a needle box. No instruction on either.

Is it normal to suddenly understand how the skew works and begin getting
good results with no EXCITING incidents?

Looks good Leon. It is always exiting to be able to do something that was
once an obscure mystery.

I should point out though, if you are going to do some serious drinking,
it may require a larger goblet.

Yeah, the thing is, that goblet started out from a 36" 4"x4". What size
piece of wood for a regular sized goblet???? LOL Actually it was 4" long
and 1.5" square.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:170420092227165532%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , Leon
wrote:

Is it normal to suddenly understand how the skew works and begin getting
good results with no EXCITING incidents?

No. You are a mutant freak.

As long as I am not a Mutant Ninja Turtle I can live with that.

Beautiful work nonetheless.

Thank you Dave, although you are a bit too kind I think.