Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default My first rollerball (0/1)

Since I started turning pens at the end of January I have stuck to the
basic slimlines. Here is my first deviation, a rollerball out of
Amboyna burl.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote in message
Since I started turning pens at the end of January I have stuck to the
basic slimlines. Here is my first deviation, a rollerball out of
Amboyna burl.

Very nice, I have been doing Euro style pens and recently switched to the
desigh you are showing here, mine are called American Classic IIRC. I found
this desigh easier to do than the Euro style.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:57:45 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Since I started turning pens at the end of January I have stuck to the
basic slimlines. Here is my first deviation, a rollerball out of
Amboyna burl.

Very nice, I have been doing Euro style pens and recently switched to the
desigh you are showing here, mine are called American Classic IIRC. I found
this desigh easier to do than the Euro style.

Yeah, I'm really taking it a step at a time. Baby steps if you will. I
found this to be very similar to the slimlines. Have a couple Euro
kits to try next.

Thanks,
Lenny
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote in message
Since I started turning pens at the end of January I have stuck to the
basic slimlines. Here is my first deviation, a rollerball out of
Amboyna burl.

Nice work. I like a fat pen.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Good job, and fantastic piece of wood.
I need to try some of the other styles.
On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 11:44:43 -0400, wrote:

Since I started turning pens at the end of January I have stuck to the
basic slimlines. Here is my first deviation, a rollerball out of
Amboyna burl.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 10:46:06 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Matt Furze" wrote in message

Since I started turning pens at the end of January I have stuck to the
basic slimlines. Here is my first deviation, a rollerball out of
Amboyna burl.

I agree, very nice! I've been turning pens for about three years now, and
have tried numerous different styles. Don't hesitate to experiment; some
styles present challenges that others don't, but all that I've tried have
come out well (though a couple, not on the first try!). And try every
different kind of wood you can - you'll be pleasantly surprised at how
some of them come out!

Matt

So far my favorite is Snake wood. It is so dense that polishing is all that
is needed to make it shine. No finish is needed. It is truly a joy to
turn.

I'll keep that in mind. Sounds a little bit like the Putumuju blank I
got with my kit at least from the standpoint of finishing nicely right
off the chisel. I have tried quite a few other ones so far including
Bethlehem Olivewood,Cocobolo,Bocote,Purpleheart,Bubinga,Weng e,etc. but
haven't even seen any Snake wood as of yet. Did get some pieces of
splated maple. Beautiful and Frustrating! SWMBO got my first attempt
(and only successful attempt so far) with that one. I plan to try
soaking the blanks in hardener before trying it again.
Also have acquired some Hawaian woods and some splated crab apple from
members of IAP.
May daughter has been selling them faster than I can make them.
Although most sales have been custom orders ... this wood ... this
shape... this metal finish. Whatever keeps me turning. It has filled
in nicely since our company went to 32 hrs/week.
Thanks all,
Lenny

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 17:08:36 -0700, "Matt Furze" wrote:

I recently did an ironwood rollerball with copper hardware - WOW! It has
become one of my personal pens... ;-)

Matt

I carry a "classic" of ironwood and 10k gold..
Not only my demo for "typical pen", but to show how much abuse ironwood can take
in daily use and still look great..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing