Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Picture Sizes

For all that have XP...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Small download that will resize your pictures for posting.

It is tiny and will take no time even for dial up folks.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

For all that have XP...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Small download that will resize your pictures for posting.

It is tiny and will take no time even for dial up folks.

Try Irfanview. It's a great little utility for that sort of thing...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller, Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kevin Miller wrote:

wrote:

unfortunately it wont work with windows vista

Of course not, if you were able to manipulate images, the RIAA might get
mad.

wrote:

For all that have XP...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Small download that will resize your pictures for posting.

It is tiny and will take no time even for dial up folks.

Try Irfanview. It's a great little utility for that sort of thing...

...Kevin

... or GIMP (www.gimp.org). Does more than re-size, it's a pretty
powerful little program and works with linux as well as windows.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

For all that have XP...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Small download that will resize your pictures for posting.

It is tiny and will take no time even for dial up folks.

Try Irfanview. It's a great little utility for that sort of thing...

...Kevin

yep... been using it for years as my default viewer and it does a quick & dirty
resize/web optimization.. great program at a great price..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:160320081017199436%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article ,
wrote:

unfortunately it wont work with windows vista

You should upgrade back to XP...

We just bought new computers for work. Our guy won't install Vista on a
network. He says maybe next year; too many bugs yet.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

We just bought new computers for work. Our guy won't install Vista on a
network. He says maybe next year; too many bugs yet.

I just bought a new computer for work today. The primary software that I
use still won't run on vista. It may be a year before it does. A lot of the
financial software still runs only on XP.

And to show you what an old fart I am, I had to pay extra to have them
istall a floppy drive and a parallel printer port. This was needed to make
the computer compatable with the rest of the office.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
And to show you what an old fart I am, I had to pay extra to have them
istall a floppy drive and a parallel printer port. This was needed to make
the computer compatable with the rest of the office.

The computer shop can get a floppy for $9. Our new one have them but I
can't remember the last time I actually used one. At home I tried to use
mine about 2 years ago and it broke. Never fixed it. But for $9, you just
never know, handy to have it.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:32:32 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

We just bought new computers for work. Our guy won't install Vista on a
network. He says maybe next year; too many bugs yet.

Even Microsoft EXECUTIVES won't run Vista.

We have (6) registers running Vista at the bicycle shop with no
issues.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"B a r r y" wrote

We have (6) registers running Vista at the bicycle shop with no
issues.

Actually, I've been running Vista Business since last June with fewer
problems than any other _newly introduced_ OS I've run since the
introduction of release candidates Win3.0, Win95, and NT4, all of which I
beta tested for months prior to their introduction.

The information in that posted link of MSFT e-mails is neither new, nor
unique, for that stage of OS development. The main problem experienced with
Vista's "performance and reliability" upon it's introduction, and still
remains, understandably, to an less than desirable extent, is both normal,
expected, and was clearly laid out in the quoted e-mail - DRIVERS.

Hardware driver/new OS incompatibility has been an understood and accepted
issue since day one. It has historically taken a couple of years for these
third party driver incompatibilities to be resolved, and about the time all
are resolved in a mature OS, along comes its replacement and the cycle
starts over.

As for the reluctance of corporate IT to introduce a new OS, 'mission
critical' or not, into a known computing network environment, DUH! ... what
else is new?

What is new is that, while there has never been a shortage of detractors
completely ignorant of the issues involved, what is increasingly unique
these days is that it's never been easier to display such ignorance.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/8/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
news
"B a r r y" wrote

[...]

Yep, I have been running Vista for 9 months with out a glitch. It probably
has been better than XP! But there is the issues with drivers, and older
programs too. I tell everyone that asks about vista that you you are going
all new, programs and all hardware it won't be any problems.
Greg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

"B a r r y" wrote

We have (6) registers running Vista at the bicycle shop with no
issues.

.... snip

As for the reluctance of corporate IT to introduce a new OS, 'mission
critical' or not, into a known computing network environment, DUH! ...
what else is new?

What is new is that, while there has never been a shortage of detractors
completely ignorant of the issues involved, what is increasingly unique
these days is that it's never been easier to display such ignorance.

Actually there is a little more to it than that. Aside from a few
cosmetic changes and some arguable improvements to security, there is
little to justify the cost of transition from the existing operating system
to Vista. Previous Windows versions could claim improved interoperability,
improved ability to self-identify and install peripherals, or improved
autodetection of network settings and self-attachment to networks compared
to the previous version. Windows Vista has no such improvements that
provide a business case for accepting the cost and pain of migrating from
XP to Vista. AAMOF, the current state of the OS, drivers, and other third
party software actually argue against such a business case. The only case
to be made is Msoft's threat of retiring XP. That is hardly a good argument
on Msoft's side -- there are instances of businesses jumping to Mac or
other OS's since they have to deal with re-training anyway.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:32:32 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

wrote:

unfortunately it wont work with windows vista

You should upgrade back to XP...

We just bought new computers for work. Our guy won't install Vista on a
network. He says maybe next year; too many bugs yet.

Even Microsoft EXECUTIVES won't run Vista.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/132891.asp

sounds just like the ME operating (not) system....
once again proving that Micro$oft can sell **** in a bag if they advertise it
enough..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

mac davis wrote:

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:32:32 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

wrote:

unfortunately it wont work with windows vista

You should upgrade back to XP...

We just bought new computers for work. Our guy won't install Vista on a
network. He says maybe next year; too many bugs yet.

Even Microsoft EXECUTIVES won't run Vista.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/132891.asp

sounds just like the ME operating (not) system....
once again proving that Micro$oft can sell **** in a bag if they advertise
it enough..

Robert Cringely had a notable quote several weeks ago: "Microsoft finally
figured out how to get respect for one of its operating systems: release a
new one that sucks worse than the last."

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Robert Cringely had a notable quote several weeks ago: "Microsoft

finally
figured out how to get respect for one of its operating systems: release a
new one that sucks worse than the last."

And there it is, mob rule for no other reason than a group of other people
are so engaged. Your lack of knowledge fully betrays you. Windows XP runs
better, faster and more efficiently than all previous versions. It's more
compatible than all previous versions and infinitely more capable of running
windows programs.

HOW that makes the last version one that sucks is beyond me. The only thing
that does suck here is your innate rush to jump on the bandwagon with this
zealot.

........A popular depiction of Robert Cringely.......
"The sex symbol, airplane enthusiast and adventurer continues to write about
personal computers and has an active consulting business in Silicon Valley,
selling his cybersoul to the highest bidder."
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/about/

Just the fact that you agree with this idiot says a whole lot about you.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

For all that have XP...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Small download that will resize your pictures for posting.

It is tiny and will take no time even for dial up folks.

Resizing is also built right into "Microsoft Photo Editor", included
with XP.

File - Properties - set to Resolution to "72 DPI"

- Then -

Image - Resize - and set Units to "Pixels" and the numbers to
800x600 or something else reasonable

Utilities are faster, but for a few photos the capability is already
there.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

For all that have XP...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Small download that will resize your pictures for posting.

It is tiny and will take no time even for dial up folks.

Resizing is also built right into "Microsoft Photo Editor", included
with XP.

Microsoft photo editor does not come with every version of XP. It seems to
be tied to the Microsoft Office product. When I was using Msoft at home, I
had Microsoft Photo Editor but it appears to have come with the Office 97
Small Business product. My wife's laptop, for which we did not get Office
(using OpenOffice instead), does not have Microsoft Photo Editor. At work,
machines had the Photo Editor on them until the latest "upgrade" to the
newest Office product. Photo Editor is no longer on those machines, much
to my chagrin. I had to load the GIMP in order to be able to modify images
for presentations.

File - Properties - set to Resolution to "72 DPI"

- Then -

Image - Resize - and set Units to "Pixels" and the numbers to
800x600 or something else reasonable

Utilities are faster, but for a few photos the capability is already
there.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, photo editor comes with office. It also doesn't properly support exif
data so be cafeful with any edits you make, they can loose the date/time
stamp among other interesting or useful data. I recommend not using it at
all for this reason.

cable sizes Martin Pentreath UK diy 4 January 22nd 07 10:34 AM
Joist sizes Suz UK diy 24 December 9th 06 11:09 PM
Sound but no picture, picture returns after switch off/on. [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 March 20th 06 08:45 PM
Philips tv with no picture or disapearing picture or slow picturestartup but good sound?? Janne G Electronics Repair 5 December 2nd 04 10:31 PM
HITACHI 27CX5B Picture in Picture?? Tom Electronics Repair 0 March 7th 04 01:12 PM