Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Fine Woodworking vacuum muffler

I have often thought of building an enclosure for my vacuum. But I am
worried about overheating the motor.

The enclosure in Fine Woodworking this month is pretty close to what I
have often thought of.

Has anyone built one in the past? Did your vacuum overheat from lack of
cool air?

The problem I see is that exhaust air which is warm will be used to cool
the motor... Then the motor will be hotter, and the exhaust air will be
hotter... leading to a cycle that just can't sustain long runs anymore.

But I could be wrong...
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:
I have often thought of building an enclosure for my vacuum. But I am
worried about overheating the motor.

The enclosure in Fine Woodworking this month is pretty close to what I
have often thought of.

Has anyone built one in the past? Did your vacuum overheat from lack of
cool air?

The problem I see is that exhaust air which is warm will be used to cool
the motor... Then the motor will be hotter, and the exhaust air will be
hotter... leading to a cycle that just can't sustain long runs anymore.

But I could be wrong...

I'm going to be building 2 of those. One each for the vacs on my chop
and band saws. If you look closer at the design of the enclosure the
exhaust port has more than enough area to keep your vac cool. The area
of that exhaust port is many times the exit port on you vac.

--
Kevin

lindo745 (at) yahoo (dot) com
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kevin wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:

I have often thought of building an enclosure for my vacuum. But I am
worried about overheating the motor.

The enclosure in Fine Woodworking this month is pretty close to what I
have often thought of.

Has anyone built one in the past? Did your vacuum overheat from lack
of cool air?

The problem I see is that exhaust air which is warm will be used to
cool the motor... Then the motor will be hotter, and the exhaust air
will be hotter... leading to a cycle that just can't sustain long runs
anymore.

But I could be wrong...

I'm going to be building 2 of those. One each for the vacs on my chop
and band saws. If you look closer at the design of the enclosure the
exhaust port has more than enough area to keep your vac cool. The area
of that exhaust port is many times the exit port on you vac.

I have had my Vac in a box like that for about 4 years. It usually
runs for about 4 hours a day, and so far there has been no problem
with heat. I once saw it in another magazine like Wood. It really
makes a difference!!

Good luck with yours. Oh PS I made an opening two inches larger
for the hose to allow for fresh air, and a two inch hole in the bottom

Lee Tollett

Taunton's The Best of Fine Woodworking Casper Woodturning 15 October 18th 07 01:58 AM
Fine woodworking CW Woodworking 2 February 23rd 07 03:38 PM
Fine Woodworking... Not! John Grossbohlin Woodworking 0 October 17th 05 03:33 AM
Fine Woodworking 177 [email protected] Woodworking 3 May 26th 05 07:07 PM
Fine Woodworking 177 [email protected] Woodturning 0 May 18th 05 10:56 AM