Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Identify this plywood

I have this container which probably at one time held an expensive bottle of
port. I would like to know what type of plywood it is and where I could get
some.

The first picture shows the container closed. The second shows it open. The
plywood is very flexible. It is 1.27mm (0.05") thick. It is three plies.
The outer plies are about 0.2 or 0.3mm, so the inner ply is about 0.6mm.
The third picture attempts to show what the plywood looks like edge-on.

I would like to know what the plywood is called and where to obtain it.

Cheers,

Larry

Attached Thumbnails
Identify this plywood-071107-01-jpg  Identify this plywood-071107-02-jpg  Identify this plywood-071107-04-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Larry Spitz has brought this to us :
I have this container which probably at one time held an expensive bottle of
port. I would like to know what type of plywood it is and where I could get
some.

The first picture shows the container closed. The second shows it open. The
plywood is very flexible. It is 1.27mm (0.05") thick. It is three plies.
The outer plies are about 0.2 or 0.3mm, so the inner ply is about 0.6mm.
The third picture attempts to show what the plywood looks like edge-on.

I would like to know what the plywood is called and where to obtain it.

Cheers,

Larry

Could that be MDF with veneer on both sides?

Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 17:16:41 +1300, Larry Spitz
wrote:

I would like to know what the plywood is called and where to obtain it.

DAGS "Bender Board" and/or "Wiggle Wood". I've used it in 3/8"
thickness, and know it's available down to 1/8", but perhaps a
diligent search will locate a supply of thinner material.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Larry Spitz wrote:
I have this container which probably at one time held an expensive bottle of
port. I would like to know what type of plywood it is and where I could get
some.

The first picture shows the container closed. The second shows it open. The
plywood is very flexible. It is 1.27mm (0.05") thick. It is three plies.
The outer plies are about 0.2 or 0.3mm, so the inner ply is about 0.6mm.
The third picture attempts to show what the plywood looks like edge-on.

I would like to know what the plywood is called and where to obtain it.

Cheers,

Larry

Baltic Birch plywood. I used to buy it in 16 inch squares.
Unfortunately I can't remember the supplier.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

wrote:

I would like to know what the plywood is called and where to obtain it.

DAGS "Bender Board" and/or "Wiggle Wood". I've used it in 3/8"
thickness, and know it's available down to 1/8", but perhaps a
diligent search will locate a supply of thinner material.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Try here...http://www.macbeath.com/products.html

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Larry Spitz" wrote in message
[...] It is three plies.
The outer plies are about 0.2 or 0.3mm, so the inner ply is about 0.6mm.

[...]
I would like to know what the plywood is called and where to obtain it.

I bought a quantity of it some years ago. It was know as Aircraft Ply and
was very thin flexible WBP birch plywood.
That's in the uk.

Tim w

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Larry Spitz wrote:
I have this container which probably at one time held an expensive bottle of
port. I would like to know what type of plywood it is and where I could get
some.

The first picture shows the container closed. The second shows it open. The
plywood is very flexible. It is 1.27mm (0.05") thick. It is three plies.
The outer plies are about 0.2 or 0.3mm, so the inner ply is about 0.6mm.
The third picture attempts to show what the plywood looks like edge-on.

I would like to know what the plywood is called and where to obtain it.

Cheers,

Larry

Hi Larry,

Around here we call it Wacky Wood and its available with the grain
running in either direction. Check out Boulter Plywood
http://www.boulterplywood.com/FlexiblePlywood_4.htm

Bob Chamberlain
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

posted & mailed

Larry Spitz wrote:

I have this container which probably at one time held an expensive bottle
of port. I would like to know what type of plywood it is and where I could
get some.

The first picture shows the container closed. The second shows it open.
The plywood is very flexible. It is 1.27mm (0.05") thick. It is three
plies. The outer plies are about 0.2 or 0.3mm, so the inner ply is about
0.6mm. The third picture attempts to show what the plywood looks like
edge-on.

I would like to know what the plywood is called and where to obtain it.

Cheers,

Larry

Thanks for all of the Wiggly and Wacky names for this plywood. And thanks
for the URLs.

I would still like to find a source for the thinner variety. The thinnest I
have seen noted is 1/8". The sample I have is 1/20". So if anyone knows
where I can get the REALLY thin stuff, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,

Larry
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Larry Spitz
posted & mailed

Thanks for all of the Wiggly and Wacky names for this plywood. And thanks
for the URLs.

I would still like to find a source for the thinner variety. The thinnest I
have seen noted is 1/8". The sample I have is 1/20". So if anyone knows
where I can get the REALLY thin stuff, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,

Larry

You can buy veneer from this guy:
http://www.veneersupplies.com/

and make it yourself...
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

name skreiv:
Larry Spitz
posted & mailed

Thanks for all of the Wiggly and Wacky names for this plywood. And thanks
for the URLs.

I would still like to find a source for the thinner variety. The
thinnest I
have seen noted is 1/8". The sample I have is 1/20". So if anyone knows
where I can get the REALLY thin stuff, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,

Larry

You can buy veneer from this guy:
http://www.veneersupplies.com/

and make it yourself...

You could also search for model aircraft plywood, here's an example:
http://www.rediboom.com/englisch/material/holz.html

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Ralph wrote:
Larry Spitz wrote:
I have this container which probably at one time held an expensive
bottle of
port. I would like to know what type of plywood it is and where I
could get
some.

The first picture shows the container closed. The second shows it
open. The
plywood is very flexible. It is 1.27mm (0.05") thick. It is three plies.
The outer plies are about 0.2 or 0.3mm, so the inner ply is about 0.6mm.
The third picture attempts to show what the plywood looks like edge-on.

I would like to know what the plywood is called and where to obtain it.

Cheers,

Larry

Baltic Birch plywood. I used to buy it in 16 inch squares.
Unfortunately I can't remember the supplier.

Try Lee Valley. They have it under the name Finnish birch.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Larry Spitz wrote:
I have this container which probably at one time held an expensive bottle of
port. I would like to know what type of plywood it is and where I could get
some.

The first picture shows the container closed. The second shows it open. The
plywood is very flexible. It is 1.27mm (0.05") thick. It is three plies.

Lee Valley sells 1.5mm and 0.8mm finnish birch ply, in 25"x25" squares.

Chris
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Given the tight radius of curvature, that is probably "bending ply",
rather than regular birch/alder plywood. IE, the plies are laid up
more-or-less with parallel grain, rather than more or less 90 degrees.

If you need regular birch/alder/etc Aircraft Spruce is a good source,
though not overly inexpensive. Presumably of high quality, given the
application - and more plies per thickness than the stuff my lumberyard
gets - their 3mm is 5 ply, the 3mm from my lumberyard is 3 ply.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/wp/plywood.html

My local lumberyard does not stock birch ply, but has ordered stuff in
for me.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

oft referred to as 'flexi ply' in the UK, for pretty obvious reasons.

John
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks for all of the Wiggly and Wacky names for this plywood. And
thanks
for the URLs.

I would still like to find a source for the thinner variety. The
thinnest I
have seen noted is 1/8". The sample I have is 1/20". So if anyone knows
where I can get the REALLY thin stuff, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,

Larry

I have a couple of sheets of 1/64" 3 ply mahogany.

Is that thin enough?

Richard

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I ahve always known it as "Bendable Birtch". You can get it at Boulter
Plywood in Somerville, MA. They have a web site that I am sure Goggle will
bring up and they do ship.

Regards