Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Trig Help - question from rec.woodworking

Equations are nice but having a diagram to go with them
may help.

charlie b

Attached Images
File Type: gif ARCH EQN Graphic2.gif (47.1 KB, 40 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
Equations are nice but having a diagram to go with them
may help.

charlie b

Off the subject but have you come up with any new projects for you Domino?

A couple of weeks ago I had a job of building a cabinet to replace a trash
compactor. All the existing cabinets had plastic laminate on them and the
interiors were covered in white also.
Anyway the job required melamine construction for the interior of the
cabinet and I used My Domino to prevent having to use any screws at all to
assemble the cabinet. The Domino is perfect for putting melamine projects
together. The cabinet was extremely rigid at the joints.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

A couple of weeks ago I had a job of building a cabinet to replace a trash
compactor. All the existing cabinets had plastic laminate on them and the
interiors were covered in white also.
Anyway the job required melamine construction for the interior of the
cabinet and I used My Domino to prevent having to use any screws at all to
assemble the cabinet. The Domino is perfect for putting melamine projects
together. The cabinet was extremely rigid at the joints.

Loose tenon joinery for melamine??

Something about that just ain't right. Old world craftmen are turning over
in their graves.

What next, particle board stickley furniture??

silly grin

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Loose tenon joinery for melamine??

Something about that just ain't right. Old world craftmen are turning
over in their graves.

What next, particle board stickley furniture??

silly grin

;~) A few months back I tested the Domino on MDF and was quite impressed
with the quality of the butt joint and the strength. Many many times better
than screws. The melamine had a MDF core and worked out very well.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

For some reason, my ISP's news server isn't working properly for
this specific news group. New messages aren't showing up as
"unread". To get new messages I have to download ALL messages
and sift through looking for the new messages since last I visited.

ANYWAY

Regarding the DOMINO and particle board/MDF construction - immediately
after WW II (that's World War Two - Japan, Germany and Italy against
the England, France (sort of), United States, Canada, Australia and the
Philipines and pretty much the rest of the world, to one degree or
another),
a good hunk of Europe was in shambles, including much of the forests and
most furniture manufacturing facilities. Oh - and most of the skilled
woodworkers were either killed or wounded enough to make the use of
both their hands difficult or impossible so there wasn't a large pool of
able bodied craftsmen around. But there WAS plenty of wood around,
a bit charred and/or splintered - but readily available.

Given the enourmous amount of rebuilding and refurnishing demand, and
the limited funds available to do so, some enterprising people came up
with efficient methods of converting wood debris into a material
suitable
for making some furniture - chip board, particle board. and early MDF
AND materials to cover the "less pleasing to the eye" structural
material
made from the debris. To minimize waste, "sheet goods" were made
at standardized dimensions, based on standardized cabinet sizes. And
to make the manufacturing of cabinets feasible in the quantities needed,
and given a labor force with limited skills, some bright people came up
with The 32 mm System, along with the tools, templates, jigs and
fixtures
required. Oh - and the cabinets could be shipped "knocked down" and
assembled on site. We know the offspring of that approach today as
IKEA, and its various cousins and clones.

Did I mention that The 32 mm System was developed in Germany?

Mere coincidence that Festool is a German company?

SO - it comes as no surprise, at least not to me - that the DOMINO
is great for joining "non-solid wood" cabinet components. And given
the world trend towards Going Green, I predict a bright future for
Festool - and maybe a less bleak future for forests around the
world.

Regarding DOMINO projects

Haven't started any since I saw, and studied, Barbara Dill's article
on Multi-Axis Turning in the Fall Issue of American Woodturners.
Given the addictive nature of woodturning, the article was like
trying crack cocaine (I imagine, not being one to have tried it,
or its relatives) - very mentally stimulating and almost immediate
gratification, or disappointment, since a "project" can be completed
in under an hour - and out of what would otherwise be scrap wood.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...iCenters1.html

Currently am working on the first set of Nude Dudes (I'm in a
woodturners club and have pieces to make for November and
December (N & D being the theme of the monthly piece(s))
(all one line so watch the line wrap)

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...umanForm1.html

But the hall Niche Shelf and hall Book Shelves and Cabinets is on
the Winter To Do List. Now all I need to do is clear off the tons
of accumulated bits and pieces, tools and jigs, etc. from the
table saw, bench and layout/assembly bench . . .

charlie b

Survey: Trig. Use & CAM Systems. Cliff Metalworking 16 July 24th 07 05:43 PM
angles: trig help Joe Woodworking 10 January 1st 07 03:10 PM
A geometry/trig problem about compound angles. Glenn Ashmore Metalworking 13 February 24th 06 08:24 PM
Holding rods in V-slots--mildly inneresting trig... Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 8 December 8th 05 01:29 AM
OK, a woodworking question Larry Blanchard Woodworking 13 October 23rd 05 05:32 PM