DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dremel engraver in Europe ? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/94019-dremel-engraver-europe.html)

JYS March 7th 05 02:03 PM

Dremel engraver in Europe ?

Hello,

I would like to buy a Dremel #290 electric engraver to sign my works.
But the only model available is rated 110V/60Hz.

= Has any of you a simple solution to use it here on our mains that
are 240V/50Hz (except the obvious huge solution of the 240V - 110V
transformer ...) ?

Thanks for any tip :-)

Jean-Yves

Paulco March 7th 05 03:13 PM

I would skip the dremel and just go for a no-name or lesser brand.
Dremel used to be brilliant up until about 7 or 8 years ago - at that
time they shifted the manufactur from the US to South America
somewhere and the quality went down the toilet.

Cheers
Paul

On 7 Mar 2005 06:03:27 -0800, (JYS) wrote:

Hello,

I would like to buy a Dremel #290 electric engraver to sign my works.
But the only model available is rated 110V/60Hz.

= Has any of you a simple solution to use it here on our mains that
are 240V/50Hz (except the obvious huge solution of the 240V - 110V
transformer ...) ?

Thanks for any tip :-)

Jean-Yves

Unless otherwise stated all references to location refer to Western Australia

Nick Silva March 7th 05 03:46 PM

FERM makes a dremel clone
Which I got while in Belgium. They were reasonably priced.
Peace.

On 3/7/05 8:03 AM, in article
, "JYS"

Charley March 7th 05 09:08 PM

If you have an air compressor, consider finding a small die grinder. They're
air powered, use the same 1/8" dia. bits as the Dremel and are faster (about
20,000 rpm) and more powerful then a Dremel. They're also smaller in
diameter so they're easier to use for hand engraving your signiture, etc.
Industrial Supply stores and some automotive supply stores carry them.

--
Charley

JYS March 8th 05 09:02 AM

Thanks everybody for your several answers but I may not have been precise enough :
I don't want a rotary tool (I have already 2 Dremel clones)
= What I wanna buy is a "variable stroke electrical engraver" ...

Any other source ?

Thanks

Jean-Yves

Bill R March 8th 05 10:21 PM

Jean-Yves

Try http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0

looks similar to the Dremel. I don't have one myself.

BillR

om...