moyo

Default dry time after pentacryl

After soaking a piece of green wood in pentacryl for 24 hours that is
turned to approx shape, how long to dry before finish turning and
finishing? I've heard 6mos to a year but don't know if that is for
soaked or non-soaked woods

TIA

moyo
Fred Holder

Hello Moyo,

At one time, I rough turned a salad bowl size piece of Redwood and another of
the same size out of Black Walnut. Three weeks after dousing them with
Pentacryl, the Redwood piece felt very light so I final turned it to 1/2" wall
thickness and finished with Salad Bowl finish. The wood was very dry at final
turning.

The Black Walnut piece was not final turned until 2 months after being treated
with the Pentacryl. It was dry and ready for final turning at that time.

Both bowls had been roughed to about 1-1/2" wall thickness. Warping was minimal
and there were no cracks in either of them.

I've used Pentacryl several times since but have never kept track of the time
like I did on these two salad bowls. Incidentally, both bowls finished up at
just slightly over 14" in diameter.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , moyo says...