Michael Lehmann

Default Lancewood

I did some searching around and could only find a few pictures, but it
looked very nice.
I met a bloke from central Queensland the other day, and shortly will be
going out to get some Lancewood, Bloodwood and Gidgee.
Does anyone know where I can get some info on these woods?
Cheers
Mick

Michael Lehmann

I checked out the thread on bloodwood in this ng
Mick

Randy

Bloodwood:
http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Mer...d e=Bloodwood

Lancewood: http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/Lancewood/lancewoo.htm

Gidgee: Black Gidgee turning stock dense Australian hardwood species ...
Burls - Whole small side trunk Burls $ 4.50 per/lbs. Please inquire for the
sizes. Assumed, Wood Working Properties & Specifications. Eucalyptus
marginata. ...
http://www.righteouswoods.net/coolib...abah_burl.html - 8k - Cached -
Similar pages

Or you can check here maybe: http://www.woodfinder.net/

Hope this helps.

"Michael Lehmann" wrote in message
I did some searching around and could only find a few pictures, but it
looked very nice.
I met a bloke from central Queensland the other day, and shortly will be
going out to get some Lancewood, Bloodwood and Gidgee.
Does anyone know where I can get some info on these woods?
Cheers
Mick

Andrew Barss

Michael Lehmann wrote:
: I did some searching around and could only find a few pictures, but it
: looked very nice.
: I met a bloke from central Queensland the other day, and shortly will be
: going out to get some Lancewood, Bloodwood and Gidgee.

Are you sure it isn't lacewood? Lancewood seem to be native to Florida
and the island countries nearby. Lacewood is found in Australia.
Is there a prominent pattern of elongated oval shapes? If so, that's
lacewood.

-- Andy Barss
Michael Lehmann

There seems to be a difference of opinions on a lot of web sites over what
common name of wood is what species.
I just guess that I have to get out to Barcaldine and get it.
When I looked up lacewood, it said 'Silky oak'? Silky oak also seems to be
grevillea robusta (and I have another grevillea here with a much deeper red
and smaller grain than silky oak. Its beautiful stuff (I have a fair bit of
silky oak too))
I'll see if i can find a botanical name in Department of primary Industries
somewhere.
Thannks Andrew
Mick Lehmann

Michael Lehmann

A. shirleyi (lancewood); Archidendropsis basaltica (red lancewood
bloodwood : Eucalyptus gummifera

Maybe basaltica means it resembles Basalt. I've been told Gidgee is as hard
a granite.
Mick Lehmann