Jamrelliot

Default Coloring Bondo

Have any of you gentlemen ever used colored Bondo, or any body filler, to fill
holes in a real punky bowl? If so, please share your experience with what you
used as a coloring agent, and if it was satisfactory.

I am looking for something that can be used as a contrasting filler, and can be
dyed any color.

TIA
Jim
Art Ransom

Use WoodEpox by abatron, www.abatron.com , It is a 2 part epoxy paste and
you can mix just about any thing with it for color but powders work best.
Abatron also has powder colors. It is stronger than bondo and holds better
plus has a longer working time, pot life. Sands and turns like wood and
accepts all finishes. I use about a quart a year. Developed to replace
rotten wood. I use a lot of black to fill voids in turnings and it looks
like part tree when finished.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org
"Jamrelliot" wrote in message
Have any of you gentlemen ever used colored Bondo, or any body filler, to
fill
holes in a real punky bowl? If so, please share your experience with what
you
used as a coloring agent, and if it was satisfactory.

I am looking for something that can be used as a contrasting filler, and
can be
dyed any color.

TIA
Jim

paul

Jim,
I have used a product called acraglass (available from
www.brownells.com) it's marketed primarily for gunsmithing (gunstocks),
but I have had good luck with it in lot's of situations. There is one
form of it (acraglass gel) that is almost like a putty - it should work
well for filling voids. Brownells also sells powder dye's and some
other 'additives', like powdered metals.

I think you will find a number of epoxy based products that will work
for you - watch the price and charcteristics like thickness and
clarity.

Paul