DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   tapers (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/82705-tapers.html)

Trevor December 22nd 04 01:03 PM

tapers

I am trying to identify a taper on a drive centre and it does not appear to
be a Morse taper. The dimensions I have are as follows:

Length of taper 40mm (1.575")
Large diameter 12mm (0.472")
Small diameter 10.27mm (0.404")

I measured the diameters as near the end of the taper as I could so please
do not take these measurements as gospel - they are there or thereabouts.

I suspect the taper is metric but I cannot find a source to prove this.

Can anyone offer any help?

Regards, T.

Doug Miller December 22nd 04 01:41 PM

In article , "Trevor" wrote:
I am trying to identify a taper on a drive centre and it does not appear to
be a Morse taper. The dimensions I have are as follows:

Length of taper 40mm (1.575")
Large diameter 12mm (0.472")
Small diameter 10.27mm (0.404")

Amount of taper: 0.068"
Taper per inch of length: 0.0432-

I measured the diameters as near the end of the taper as I could so please
do not take these measurements as gospel - they are there or thereabouts.

I suspect the taper is metric but I cannot find a source to prove this.

Can anyone offer any help?

I think you have a #1 Morse taper. I measured one of mine:
length of taper 1.850"
large diameter 0.500"
small diameter 0.420"
amount of taper: 0.080"
taper per inch of length: 0.0432+

In other words, the degree of taper on yours is essentially the same as the
degree of taper on mine. Yours has a bit more at the narrow end than mine,
and a bit less at the fat end, and it's shorter overall, but the angles are
the same. I *know* mine is a #1 Morse. Sounds to me like yours is too.

Arch December 22nd 04 02:31 PM

Beg , buy, borrow or steal a MT1 tapered fitment. Clean male & female
tapers. Chalk or ink the male taper. insert into spindle and twist once.
remove straight out. If the coating is smeared evenly, that's your
taper. In shorter words, fit , instead of measure.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Leo Lichtman December 22nd 04 05:48 PM

"Arch" wrote: (clip) In shorter words, fit , instead of measure.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Arch, that is much easier to do now that Doug has spoken.

Arch December 22nd 04 07:05 PM

Right Leo,
.....and even easier if there is a machinist's handbook on the coffee
table.;)
I shudda suggested getting MT1 & MT2 to try, before Doug spoke.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Trevor December 22nd 04 08:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I will borrow a MT sleeve and check it against that.

I also have a revolving centre, again with strange dimensions (length). Is
it possible that this may be a #2MT. Again I will try and borrow a
suitable sleeve to try it.

The dimensions a

Length 50mm (1.968")
Large diameter 17mm (0.669")
Small diameter 14.5mm (0.571")

Thanks again for your help.

Regards, T

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
In article , "Trevor"

Doug Miller December 23rd 04 01:27 PM

In article , "Trevor" wrote:
Thanks for the info. I will borrow a MT sleeve and check it against that.

I also have a revolving centre, again with strange dimensions (length). Is
it possible that this may be a #2MT. Again I will try and borrow a
suitable sleeve to try it.

The dimensions a

Length 50mm (1.968")
Large diameter 17mm (0.669")
Small diameter 14.5mm (0.571")

Taper = 0.669 - 0.571 = 0.098"
Taper per inch of length = 0.098 / 1.968 = 0.0498
Using the metric figures, taper per mm comes out at exactly 0.05 (2.5mm taper
along 50 mm length).

I think this is not a #2 MT. Here are my measurements on a drive center that
came with my #2 MT lathe:

Length 2.500
Large dia: 0.700"
Small dia: 0.579"
Taper = 0.700 - 0.579 = 0.121"
Taper per inch of length = 0.121 / 2.500 = 0.484

--
Regards,

cueboy2 December 23rd 04 08:17 PM

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.. .
In article , "Trevor"

wrote:
Thanks for the info. I will borrow a MT sleeve and check it against

that.

I also have a revolving centre, again with strange dimensions (length).

Is
it possible that this may be a #2MT. Again I will try and borrow a
suitable sleeve to try it.

The dimensions a

Length 50mm (1.968")
Large diameter 17mm (0.669")
Small diameter 14.5mm (0.571")

here are the 'theoretical' dimensions for a Morse #2 taper, may be of some
help

CBII

-
Taper Name Large Taper/ Taper/ Angle Small Length
End Foot Inch From End
Center

Doug Miller December 24th 04 12:57 PM

In article , (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Trevor"
wrote:
[...]

Oops, decimal point in the wrong place. Should be 0.0484. Sorry.

--
Regards,

Dan Bollinger December 24th 04 10:20 PM

I am trying to identify a taper on a drive centre and it does not appear
be a Morse taper. The dimensions I have are as follows:
I suspect the taper is metric but I cannot find a source to prove this.

Let's face it. If its a wood lathe, then the chances of it being a Morse
Taper is in the vicinity of 99 out of a 100. Rather than 'cuss and discuss'
it, why not just try a MT and see if it works? Dan

Trevor December 25th 04 02:39 PM

Thanks to all for your help. It turns out that I have a #1 &#2 Morse taper.
Though these parts are somewhat shorter than normal the tapers are correct.
I was able to borrow sleeves and verify this.

Thanks once again and Merry Christmas to all.

Regards, T.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
m...
In article ,