Trevor

Default tapers

I am trying to identify a taper on a drive centre and it does not appear to
be a Morse taper. The dimensions I have are as follows:

Length of taper 40mm (1.575")
Large diameter 12mm (0.472")
Small diameter 10.27mm (0.404")

I measured the diameters as near the end of the taper as I could so please
do not take these measurements as gospel - they are there or thereabouts.

I suspect the taper is metric but I cannot find a source to prove this.

Can anyone offer any help?

Regards, T.

Doug Miller

In article , "Trevor" wrote:
I am trying to identify a taper on a drive centre and it does not appear to
be a Morse taper. The dimensions I have are as follows:

Length of taper 40mm (1.575")
Large diameter 12mm (0.472")
Small diameter 10.27mm (0.404")

Amount of taper: 0.068"
Taper per inch of length: 0.0432-

I measured the diameters as near the end of the taper as I could so please
do not take these measurements as gospel - they are there or thereabouts.

I suspect the taper is metric but I cannot find a source to prove this.

Can anyone offer any help?

I think you have a #1 Morse taper. I measured one of mine:
length of taper 1.850"
large diameter 0.500"
small diameter 0.420"
amount of taper: 0.080"
taper per inch of length: 0.0432+

In other words, the degree of taper on yours is essentially the same as the
degree of taper on mine. Yours has a bit more at the narrow end than mine,
and a bit less at the fat end, and it's shorter overall, but the angles are
the same. I *know* mine is a #1 Morse. Sounds to me like yours is too.
Arch

Beg , buy, borrow or steal a MT1 tapered fitment. Clean male & female
tapers. Chalk or ink the male taper. insert into spindle and twist once.
remove straight out. If the coating is smeared evenly, that's your
taper. In shorter words, fit , instead of measure.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Leo Lichtman

"Arch" wrote: (clip) In shorter words, fit , instead of measure.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Arch, that is much easier to do now that Doug has spoken.

Arch

Right Leo,
.....and even easier if there is a machinist's handbook on the coffee
table.
I shudda suggested getting MT1 & MT2 to try, before Doug spoke.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Trevor

Thanks for the info. I will borrow a MT sleeve and check it against that.

I also have a revolving centre, again with strange dimensions (length). Is
it possible that this may be a #2MT. Again I will try and borrow a
suitable sleeve to try it.

The dimensions a

Length 50mm (1.968")
Large diameter 17mm (0.669")
Small diameter 14.5mm (0.571")

Thanks again for your help.

Regards, T

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
In article , "Trevor"

wrote:
[...]

Doug Miller

In article , "Trevor" wrote:
Thanks for the info. I will borrow a MT sleeve and check it against that.

I also have a revolving centre, again with strange dimensions (length). Is
it possible that this may be a #2MT. Again I will try and borrow a
suitable sleeve to try it.

The dimensions a

Length 50mm (1.968")
Large diameter 17mm (0.669")
Small diameter 14.5mm (0.571")

Taper = 0.669 - 0.571 = 0.098"
Taper per inch of length = 0.098 / 1.968 = 0.0498
Using the metric figures, taper per mm comes out at exactly 0.05 (2.5mm taper
along 50 mm length).

I think this is not a #2 MT. Here are my measurements on a drive center that
came with my #2 MT lathe:

Length 2.500
Large dia: 0.700"
Small dia: 0.579"
Taper = 0.700 - 0.579 = 0.121"
Taper per inch of length = 0.121 / 2.500 = 0.484

--
Regards,

cueboy2

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.. .
In article , "Trevor"

wrote:
Thanks for the info. I will borrow a MT sleeve and check it against

that.

I also have a revolving centre, again with strange dimensions (length).

Is
it possible that this may be a #2MT. Again I will try and borrow a
suitable sleeve to try it.

The dimensions a

Length 50mm (1.968")
Large diameter 17mm (0.669")
Small diameter 14.5mm (0.571")

here are the 'theoretical' dimensions for a Morse #2 taper, may be of some
help

CBII

-
Taper Name Large Taper/ Taper/ Angle Small Length
End Foot Inch From End
Center

Dan Bollinger

I am trying to identify a taper on a drive centre and it does not appear
be a Morse taper. The dimensions I have are as follows:
I suspect the taper is metric but I cannot find a source to prove this.

Let's face it. If its a wood lathe, then the chances of it being a Morse
Taper is in the vicinity of 99 out of a 100. Rather than 'cuss and discuss'
it, why not just try a MT and see if it works? Dan

Calculating tapers Bruno Metalworking 5 November 22nd 04 02:34 PM
Question concerning tapers to degrees Ken Sterling Metalworking 5 March 4th 04 10:30 PM
Cinc , L&W spindle tapers? Bill Bright Metalworking 2 December 11th 03 02:03 AM
Separating Morse Tapers John Rumm UK diy 7 September 4th 03 09:14 PM
A tale of woe and a caution re tangless Morse tapers, :( Arch Woodturning 12 August 8th 03 01:53 AM