Ron Williams

Default "Twas the Week Before Christmas" - a bit long

Hi, all,

I wrote the following for the program at our Club's Christmas party tonight.
Thought I'd share. fell free to use it if you'd like, just tell 'em where
you got it.

Ron Williams
Minn-Dak Woodturners
Moorhead, MN

Twas the week before Christmas, and out in the shop,
the chips were a-flyin', the lathe didn't stop.

The turner stepped back for a well-deserved break,
took a sip of his coffee, and stretched out an ache.

He turned to the list he'd tacked up by the door,
it ran down the wall, and two feet on the floor!

A bowl for Aunt Susan, a pen for her mate,
a chalice and paten (a cup and a plate),

An icicle ornament, two whistling tops,
A doorknob, six light pulls, three wine bottle stops.

A box, a few eggcups, a call for a duck,
Some earrings, a whistle, and the wheels for a truck.

He looked at the list, at the things yet to make,
and he said, as he gave his old head a sad shake,

"Oh, where have the days gone? I thought I had planned.
But I've still gifts to make, to turn and to sand!"

Yes, the trimming of trees and the hanging of lights,
caroling, parties, and seeing the sights,

A Thanksgiving turkey, and a trip to Aunt Bea's
had put the man's plans in a terrible squeeze!

But as he sat brooding on the things not yet done,
a voice (his subconscious) said. "Come, this is fun!"

"Would you rather be looking for gifts at the malls?
Peering in windows, walking the halls?"

"Hunting for parking a mile from the store,
then finding the best gifts were gone, weeks before?"

"So back to the catalogs, searching on-line -
'If I buy it on E-bay, will it get here in time?'"

"And then things get desperate - its now Christmas Eve,
as you run shop to shop - you forgot Uncle Steve!"

"So recall," said the voice, "ere you give in to ravings,
the hum of the lathe, and the smell of the shavings."

"The feel of the wood and the skew in your hand,
and the cut that's so sweet, you don't bother to sand."

"And think, as you work, of the looks that abound
as they open your gifts, and they pass them around."

"You're right," said the turner, "I'll just pick up the pace."
Then he stepped to the lathe with a smile on his face.

And he said to the air, as he switched on the light,
"Happy turning to all, and to all, a good night!"

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Ron

Very nice
Thank you, and best wishes to you and everyone dear.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Ron Williams wrote:
[...]

John Coulombe

Many thanks Ron - I'm using it in our club's newsletter.
II haven't got it complete yet but it will be available on our club's
website at:
http://valleywoodturners.userworld.com/newsletters.htm

Should have it up in the next couple of days

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year greetings to you and yours

John Coulombe
Secretary
Valley Woodturners - Ottawa, ON Canada

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 18:06:49 -0600, "Ron Williams"
wrote:

[...]

Ray

Good-one Ron
All the best to you and yours for the festive season.
Don't for get to leave a little time for the dust to settle over the break.
Time to reflect over this past year while you have a smallglass of whatever
you fancy.
And get out next years diary to program your time so you will have more
time to make those thing you forgot about this year. :-)

Cheers Ron.
Ray