David Pugh

Default Jet tailstock creep

Does anybody have a fix for the tailstop creep on my Jet mini lathe?

David Pugh
College Station, Texas

Arch

So that's where the creep that gets in the camera's way at club demo's
hides. Throw him out of your shop right now David.

OTOH, can you make or have made a larger clamping plate for your
tailstock? Is there rough casting flash on the underside of the ways
that you can clean up?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Martin Rost

I have a Jet mini and find that I have to tighten the tailstock AMFM (all my
freaking might), and then watch it as I advance the center into the wood,
and possibly re-tighten. Think I'll have a look at the underside of the
ways tonight.
Martin

"Arch" wrote in message
So that's where the creep that gets in the camera's way at club demo's
hides. Throw him out of your shop right now David.

OTOH, can you make or have made a larger clamping plate for your
tailstock? Is there rough casting flash on the underside of the ways
that you can clean up?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

johnny rotten

Give the bed and base of the tail stock a sand. Maybe you have wax or
something else creating a slippery surface.
"David Pugh" wrote in message
Does anybody have a fix for the tailstop creep on my Jet mini lathe?

David Pugh
College Station, Texas

Tony Dentino

I just give the handle a couple of whacks with a dead blow hammer... works
fine.

Tony
"David Pugh" wrote in message
Does anybody have a fix for the tailstop creep on my Jet mini lathe?

David Pugh
College Station, Texas

John Weeks

It seems to me that I have read of some people letting or encouraging
the ways to have a layer of rust to help grip and prevent this. I've
never been able to bring myself to let this happen.

I saw a bottle of some kind of "non-slip" gunk the last time I was in
the Rockler store here in Phoenix - it was on the rack with the
turning tools - and I assumed it was to help with this. Didn't buy any
so I don't know anything more about it.

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:47:03 -0600, "David Pugh"
wrote:

Does anybody have a fix for the tailstop creep on my Jet mini lathe?

David Pugh
College Station, Texas

Rick Prevett

This problem has been addressed by someone who now makes a replacement
tailstock plate that will not creep. See the product at
http://www.workshoptreasures.com/

(no affiliation)
Leo Lichtman

This may or may not help, but it is easy to try. Just as the cam goes over
top-dead-center, you have the maximum mechanical advantage, hence the
maximum holding power. You should be able to adjust the nut until you go
over center, and then back up until it holds REALLY TIGHT.

I have also heard that a little rust helps the clamping action. When our
club lathe had this problem, Jet claimed that we contributed to the problem
by filing the bottom of the tailstock smooth. If you don't like rust, how
about a coarse sandblast?

Peter Teubel

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:36:30 GMT, John Weeks wrote:

It seems to me that I have read of some people letting or encouraging
the ways to have a layer of rust to help grip and prevent this. I've
never been able to bring myself to let this happen.

You should try it. It really works. On my Jet 1236, I spray down 1/2 the bed with brake cleaner. That cleans up any trace of oil.
Then I put wet rags (or oak shavings) on the bed overnight. Rusts it up nicely. A quick scuff with a scotchbrite pad and no more
creep. On my more expensive lathes I expect (and have) a better design, but rust is a good cheap fix for the Jet.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com
res055a5

i've been told that jet puts a grease or oil on the ways which causes the
slip
unless you use a degreaser to remove it. then it is supposed to work right.
they probably do that to keep it from rusting until it is sold.
Of course it could all be rumor!
rich

"David Pugh" wrote in message
Does anybody have a fix for the tailstop creep on my Jet mini lathe?

David Pugh
College Station, Texas

Ken Grunke

David Pugh wrote:
Does anybody have a fix for the tailstop creep on my Jet mini lathe?

David Pugh
College Station, Texas

Besides the replacement clamp block and intentional rusting of the bed,
it may help to lubricate the eccentric clamp shaft where it goes through
the clamp bolt eye. That will allow less force needed on the clamp lever.

Ken Grunke

Ace

I turned a larger handle that fits over the metal handle and now I can apply
more force easily.

WoodMangler

David Pugh wrote:
Does anybody have a fix for the tailstop creep on my Jet mini lathe?

David Pugh
College Station, Texas

I'm having the same problem with my Fisch lathe. Hopefully one of the
suggestions here will help with that also.