Dennis

Default Quarantined

Hi, I have had a handmade hunting/camping knife made for me by a Japanese
Bladesmith. The handle is cherry blossom and the sheath is Ho wood.
Australian authorities have decided there is raw bark on the handle and
ordered it to be heat dried for 8 hours at 85 degrees Celsius. The timber
has been naturally dried for 6 months. I have given them the go ahead, but
would anyone have an opinion as to whether this will damage the handle, or
if, it is of use to re/oil the handle after this treatment. and any
suggestions please. thanks.

George

Is the handle merely oiled? If so, brighten it up when returned, and press
on. Not that you'd convince a government minion of it, but if the thing is
lacquered, it's about a disinfected as it can be, in my opinion. Since
oiled bark would almost certainly have come off with handling, that's my
bet.