Karl-Hugo Weesberg

Default Beetles in my wood .....

What can I do now - my wood is full of disgusting little beetles ...
Ken Moon

"Karl-Hugo Weesberg" wrote in message
om...
What can I do now - my wood is full of disgusting little beetles ...

=========================
Try dunking in mineral spirits.

Dr. deb

Karl-Hugo Weesberg wrote:

What can I do now - my wood is full of disgusting little beetles ...

Get it out of the shop before those nasty powder post beetles reduce the
whole thing to powder. As for what to do with the wood. Have you heard of
fire?

I had to burn about 200 bf of walnut (fortunately not very good quality)
because of powder post beetles.

Deb
JRJohnson

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Karl-Hugo Weesberg" wrote in message
om...
What can I do now - my wood is full of disgusting little beetles ...

=========================
Try dunking in mineral spirits.

Dunk in any kind of alcohol. It will pickle even the toughest bug!! Then

dry, and turn. Makes interesting pieces, what with all the holes.

Regards, James Johnson

Denis Marier

As mentioned before the piece of wood infested with beetles should be
destined to the fire stove.
However if you cherished that piece of wood you can try the following:
One of the old trick in boat repair is to impregnated the piece of rotten
wood with gasoline.
Then let the piece of wood or lumber structure to dry in open air before
using it. (in boat repair once the wood becomes dry its saturated with
epoxy) Check the wooden boat building/repair sites, other commercial product
are available at a higher price.
Using gasoline is flammable and should be avoided if possible and only used
in a controlled environment.

"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2004.10.26.16.04.19.529165@notarealserver .com...
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:37:50 -0500, Dr. deb wrote:

Karl-Hugo Weesberg wrote:

What can I do now - my wood is full of disgusting little beetles ...

Get it out of the shop before those nasty powder post beetles reduce the
whole thing to powder. As for what to do with the wood. Have you heard
of fire?

I had to burn about 200 bf of walnut (fortunately not very good quality)
because of powder post beetles.

Deb

I got 'gifted' with some maple that is both spalted and buggy as all
get-put. MY (YMMV) solution has been to cut it into bowl blanks and
thinner blanks intended for pens. Then I nuke them for a LONG time at 1/2
power (thirty minutes) and follow up with a trip to the freezer section in
the "shop refrigerator" (another gift).

I found that spiders could hide under the wood if I just ran full power
and 5 minutes, so I went with the longer (and hopefully deeper) heating
cycle.

I don't know for certain how well this will work yet, but that spalting
made me look for solutions rather than simply pitch / burn the wood. I
suspect that any beetle who has just been in a hot and steamy climate
(inside the wood) is not prepared to spend the night in the freezer.

Whenever I see signs of bugs, I ALWAYS make the microwave the next stop
unless I am willing to just toss the wood away. I am also hopeful that the
microwaving will have killed off the fungus that caused the spalting.

Bill
--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)

n2sawdust

Eat them. They are a great source of protein.....