charles jones

Default DVR

Hello

Thank you to everyone who replied, either personally or through the
newsgroup when I was asking about the DVR. I went to Stoneleigh to the
International Woodworking and Woodturning exhibition on Saturday. A
brilliant day out and had a good look at the lathes on offer: DVR, Poolewood
DVSL, Wivamac and Vicmarc. Having chatted to the professional turners using
them I sadly dismissed both the DVR and DVSL turning instead to the Belgian
Wivamac and the Vicmarc 175. Jimmy Clewes spent a good while with me
discussing the merits of the Wivamac, which he uses for teaching and
demonstrations. It certainly is a formidable piece of kit and is unrivalled
for bolt-on accessories and very strongly built. However, in the end it had
to be the Vicmarc for me. Thanks again for all your input and happy days
making shavings.

Charlie

Mr Charlie Jones
Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
Oxford University,South Parks Road
Oxford, OX1 3QZ, United Kingdom

tel. (44) 1865 275441
or (44) 1865 275168
fax (44) 1865 275410

Arch

Hello Charlie,
Congratulations on your fine new lathe.

The Wivamac and DVSL are less well known to some of us. As you have done
the leg work, could you further compare the four finalists for us as to
cost, where available, specs, expert's opinions and biases, overall good
& bad etc. Quantitative & Qualitative Analysis, Oxford style, but not
too theoretical. TIA and 'turn' to safety. Arch

Fortiter,