Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
dave in Fairfax

Default (Q) Practice segmented turning with SYP

"Dr. Know" wrote:
I am totally new to both wood turning and this forum. However, I see
a number of familiar "faces" from the wreck.
Anyhow, I want to practice making small segmented and open segmented
turnings. Tweaking the jigs and such as I go.
Is it possible to use cheap materials like southern yellow pine for
practice before moving on to ruin more expensive woods?

Hi. If you're "totally new to wood turning", you're putting the
horse before the horse. Start out with spindle work and learn the
use and feelof your turning tools. Go from that to simple
faceplate work and then to deeper bowls and hollow forms. When
you've got that under your belt, try the segmenented bowls. If
you haven't gotten any of the basic books on turning, do that to
help you get a leg up. Better yet, find someone local and have
them help you learn.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader