Ronald Berman

Default Candleholder

I am looking to turn a candleholder out cocobolo. I am just a little
inexperienced regarding the cup for the candle. How much wood do I have to
leave around it? Does anyone have a design I can copy?

Thanks

Ron

Ronald Berman

Maybe "copy" was a little too strong. What I am looking for is an idea of
how much wood I have to leave under the cup, whether just cut from wood or
fited with a metal liner.

Ron

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
Copy? Copy? Have you no pride, man!! And on the newsgroup, too!!*G*

Leif

"Ronald Berman" wrote in message
I am looking to turn a candleholder out cocobolo. I am just a little
inexperienced regarding the cup for the candle. How much wood do I have
to leave around it? Does anyone have a design I can copy?

Thanks

Ron

George

Depends on the length of the candle, and its diameter. Traditional dinner
candle has a 7/8 taper to 3/4 base, for which you'll want to grind a spade
bit or use an insert. With a quarter inch around it, looks pretty good, but
the base might look too broad or heavy if you are going to counterbalance a
long candle. You can hedge your bets by turning on a 1" pin chuck or with
pin jaws into the base. That way you can add some sinker lead or steel
washers to firm up the whole thing, while still making it look light and
graceful.

"Ronald Berman" wrote in message
m...
Maybe "copy" was a little too strong. What I am looking for is an idea of
how much wood I have to leave under the cup, whether just cut from wood or
fited with a metal liner.

Ron

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
Copy? Copy? Have you no pride, man!! And on the newsgroup, too!!*G*

Leif

"Ronald Berman" wrote in message
I am looking to turn a candleholder out cocobolo. I am just a little
inexperienced regarding the cup for the candle. How much wood do I have
to leave around it? Does anyone have a design I can copy?

Thanks

Ron

RoyFek43

Hi Ron,
I used this site, http://www.alaska.net/~atftb/candle-aaw.htm
as "inspiration" to design my candle holders. It also gives some
useful tips on mounting them on the lathe.
Hope it helps.
Roy