Eddie Munster

Default Aluminium on wood lathe

I know some people have turned aluminium on a wood lathe.

What tool did you use and what rpm. What I want to do is about 4 inches
in diameter.

It is actually the outboard stock rotating handle on my lathe. It is
very slightly off centre and I want to adjust it.

John

George

Slow as you go for speed.

I took my Stewart system and put on a carbide cutter I traded my machinist
neighbor for. Worked well, though I suppose your HSS scraping stuff would
do as well. Used some of the liquid _soap_ they sell for hands 1/1 with
water as lube. Note, I said soap, not detergent.

"Eddie Munster" wrote in message
I know some people have turned aluminium on a wood lathe.

What tool did you use and what rpm. What I want to do is about 4 inches
in diameter.

It is actually the outboard stock rotating handle on my lathe. It is
very slightly off centre and I want to adjust it.

John

Ken G.

Eddie Munster wrote:
I know some people have turned aluminium on a wood lathe.

What tool did you use and what rpm. What I want to do is about 4 inches
in diameter.

It is actually the outboard stock rotating handle on my lathe. It is
very slightly off centre and I want to adjust it.

John

About 400 rpm, 600 tops.
I'd use a round-nose scraper ground from a square HSS machinist's
toolbit--1/4" or 5/16" square, held in a setscrew handle.
Use a light touch, and with the tool pointed downward so if it grabs, it
doesn't dig in.
Don't try to rub the bevel as you would with wood--use a scraping cut
only. And keep your face away from the handle zone in case you get a
catch, so you don't punch yourself in the face. Don't ask me how I know
about that!

Ken Grunke

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Eddie

You can cut alluminium just fine with hss, a sharp scraper would be
fine, but keep your speed down to approx. 200 feet/min and use lots of
cutting oil or else the alluminium will stick to your turning tool and
then grab, keep your tool rest very close and take real light cuts.
hope this is some help to you.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Eddie Munster wrote:

I know some people have turned aluminium on a wood lathe.

What tool did you use and what rpm. What I want to do is about 4 inches
in diameter.

It is actually the outboard stock rotating handle on my lathe. It is
very slightly off centre and I want to adjust it.

John

mac davis

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:34:38 -0400, Eddie Munster
wrote:

Also I ment to add regarding the aluminium handle. I don't think it was
made poorly. Just when you tighten up the setscrew, it deforms the shape
to an "out of round" condition. This decided on by the pattern of
material removal. So if I should ever remove it and replace it, I may
then need to repeat this exercise.

and now you've gained knowledge of your equipment, experience with
aluminum turning and have one more thing that you can get done without
hiring help..
sounds like a great day!

Mac
Ken Moon

"Eddie Munster" wrote in message
Thanks for the help guys. I used my HSS scraper and now the handle/wheel
is all trued up. The scraper is no worse for the wear either. It doesn't
even show any wear.

Remember, HSS was developed for machinists to cut steel at a high speed
without suffering from heat damage.

Ken