Larry & Patti

Default Vacuum Rig for Jet Midi

I know this sounds a little odd, but I move a lot (active duty Navy) so I
have a Jet Midi to do my turning on since I don't always have room for a
bigger lathe. However, I would like to do some natural edge bowls and a
vacuum rig would help a immensely. Does anyone make one or does someone
have plans for such an item or am I just crazy? I have a Fein Turbo II
shop-vac that I would like to use for the vacuum source, but I would be
willing to spring for a vacuum pump if needed. Thanks in advance for the
help.

Owen Lowe

In article ,
Larry & Patti wrote:

Does anyone make one or does someone
have plans for such an item or am I just crazy? I have a Fein Turbo II
shop-vac that I would like to use for the vacuum source, but I would be
willing to spring for a vacuum pump if needed.

I have a Delta Midi (Jet Mini clone) and have rigged up a simple vacuum
setup with a vac pump.

The pump came from Burden Surplus in Nebraska ($90 $115 w/shipping -
it's a heavy sonovagun.) I bought 10 feet of air hose from the local Ace
Hardware, an air filter, a T fitting, a bleed valve (I'm using a
1/4-turn air or gas stopcock) to adjust the level of vacuum and a
package of screw hose clamps. I then picked up a sealed ball bearing
with an inner bore that was a tight push fit for the air hose to go
into. That's about it for hardware to get the vac to the spindle threads
- all told about $25 to Ace.

The layout of the parts is: pump; hose; filter; hose; T-fitting; hose to
bleed valve; hose to lathe.

On my lathe I turned a disk that was a persuasion-fit into the recess in
the handwheel. But before persuading it, I turned a recess in the
backside (the side facing the headstock) that matched the outside
diameter of the bearing so that it was a press fit. Then opened a center
thru-hole that was slightly larger than the outside diameter of the hose
so that after the bearing was pressed in, the inside race would spin
freely when the hose was pressed into it.

I epoxied the bearing into the wood disk, being careful to not slop the
epoxy onto the moving part of the bearing. Then I persuaded the disk
into the handwheel and ran a bead of either latex or silicone caulk at
the joint of the wood and handwheel. VIOLA!

Whenever I desire vacuum, I plug the air hose coming from the T into the
bearing in the handwheel, flip the pump on and I get vacuum through the
spindle to the nose. When I don't need it I unplug the hose and tuck it
down near the valve and filter. Vacuum is about 26" at the spindle and
someday I may put in a check valve, so that, should I ever lose power
while turning I ought to be able to maintain enough vacuum to take hold
of the piece before any leaks release it.

For chucks, I've made about 3 using face plates and 1/2" thick scrap
acrylic and polycarbonate. Screw the scrap to the face plate (I use Don
Pencil face plates), glue on extra pieces of plastic if necessary and
turn the outside to round. Turn or drill a center hole and then round
over the end if you're going for a cup-type vac chuck. Glue on a piece
of rubber or leather. VIOLA!

If you wish I can try to snap a few pictures in the coming days to
better illustrate my setup - just let me know.
Owen Lowe

In article ,
Owen Lowe wrote:

I have a Delta Midi (Jet Mini clone) and have rigged up a simple vacuum
setup with a vac pump.

SNIP
If you wish I can try to snap a few pictures in the coming days to
better illustrate my setup - just let me know.

I received a couple requests via private email for the pics, so I've put
together a quick web page showing my setup:
http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/vacuum/vacuum.html

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Larry Day

Thanks for the info and the nice photos
"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Owen Lowe wrote:

I have a Delta Midi (Jet Mini clone) and have rigged up a simple vacuum
setup with a vac pump.

SNIP
If you wish I can try to snap a few pictures in the coming days to
better illustrate my setup - just let me know.

I received a couple requests via private email for the pics, so I've put
together a quick web page showing my setup:
http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/vacuum/vacuum.html

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Almost done with my home-made vacuum press. Anyone else done one? Joe Emenaker Woodworking 15 August 8th 04 12:23 AM
vacuum bagging sites Bill Woodworking 0 June 22nd 04 11:06 PM
Riccar Radiance Vacuum review Clinton Bast Home Ownership 1 June 2nd 04 02:51 PM
How to make a vacuum kiln in 20 screwups or less. Steve Knight Woodworking 3 July 26th 03 06:12 AM
vacuum attach for solid spindles Fred Holder Woodturning 1 July 9th 03 05:23 AM