rtabor

Default band saws

Does any one use the Harbor Freight 14" band saw? Is it any good? I have
also looked at the Grizzly 14" band saw and several others with the 6" riser
block. Price is part of the driving issue when the main use of the saw is to
cut rough turning blanks. I would like to hear all opinions and advice.
Thanks

Tony Manella

I have had a Grizzly 14" band saw for 3 years. The motor did go in the
first week I had the saw but Grizzly replaced it quickly and the new motor
has run like a champ. I am only a recreational turner so it doesn't get too
much work. I've been happy with the purchase.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.com/

"rtabor" wrote in message
Does any one use the Harbor Freight 14" band saw? Is it any good? I have
also looked at the Grizzly 14" band saw and several others with the 6"

riser
block. Price is part of the driving issue when the main use of the saw is

cut rough turning blanks. I would like to hear all opinions and advice.
Thanks

Dr. Deb

rtabor wrote:

Does any one use the Harbor Freight 14" band saw? Is it any good? I have
also looked at the Grizzly 14" band saw and several others with the 6"
riser block. Price is part of the driving issue when the main use of the
saw is to cut rough turning blanks. I would like to hear all opinions and
advice. Thanks

I have one, and fortunately I bought it when the riser blocks were still
available for it.

Works great and is essentially the same thing as the Grizzly

I did complain about it for awhile, until I took the time to check out just
how I had tensioned the belts. Once I got both tight, I cuts very well.
For the price, it is really hard to beat.

Deb
Randy Rhine

Why screw around riser blocks on underpowered saws. If you're cut stuff
that thick, just get a Laguna. Only hurts once...when you write the
check. Clear sailing after that...