Ray Sandusky

Default Hey ... this might be fun!

Bill

The next time you take a piece to work, take it to the front office and show
the bosses secretary - give her a price of 125 or more and tell her you
would like to make these for the company to give as gifts to its clients -
then sit back and watch what the ladies do for your business - oh by the
way, they may knock the prices down to about the 70 you were asking at
first, but now you will have a bunch of orders at 70 instead of a guy who
says that he can not afford it at 70!

Remember - aim high in the people who you sell to and the prices that you
sell at - then you will find the right buyers at the right prices - then It
will be fun!

Best wishes

Ray
www.artisticwoods.com

"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2004.08.17.21.24.58.153716@notarealserver .com...
I took my first finished piece, a stemmed glass, in to work today to show
a few of my co-workers. None of us makes much money. One of the guys
casually asked how much I would be willing to sell it for and I, just as
casually, pulled a figure out of thin air and told him $70. The piece is
8" tall x 2 1/4" diameter from nicely figured maple. It has a couple
filled knots (CA & shavings) and a rubbed tung oil finish to set off the
half-dozen birds eyes. It was turned green and was slightly off center so
the heartwood shows through in the stem area as vertical streaks of dark
amongst the white of the other wood. The stem area is thick, smooth and
slightly concave for gripping and the bottom flares out into a pedestal.
It was 'designed' on the lathe.

He held it and looked at it for a LONG time before passing it back with a
"Naw, I wish I could, but I just can't afford that much."

Yeah ... this might be fun.

Bill
--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)