Jamrelliot

Default Sub for Anchorseal

Got to wondering about subbing Thompson's Deck Waterproofing for Anchorseal.
Has anyone tried? Seems as if the waterproofer that would keep the water out
would also keep it in.

I have tried latex with so-so results.

Came across a 5 gallon can of Thompson's in the barn and thought I might try
it.

Jim
Leo Lichtman

"Jamrelliot" wrote: (clip) Seems as if the waterproofer that would keep the
water out would also keep it in.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
No, I haven't tried it, but I have my doubts. Thompson's Water Seal is not
a waterproofer--it is a water repellant. The moisture in the wood has a
vapor pressure, which I believe will cause it to leave the wood, right
through the repellant.

Arch

Hi Jim, To represent salvaging nature's bounty on Earth Day I turned 25
'urns' with lots of bark left on. The wood was road kill oak and was to
be placed around the church yard. I soaked them in a tub of Thompson's
and they all cracked...ok for my purposes then, but I've never found
Thompson's to seal or repel water for very long. IMHO, you are better
off to use up your Thompsons and not buy any more.

The urns seem to have all disappeared, but that's another story. Good
luck, Arch

Fortiter,

Ray Sandusky

Jim

you are better off putting the pieces of wood in plastic bags than using
Thompsons - at least you will get some spalting!

Try melting some old candles and dipping the wood into that - it will do
better than anchorseal because it will be cheap and probably smell better!

Ray