Paul Rasmussen

Default Europe Bound

We will going to Europe next weekend. We will be touring Germany (southern),
northern Italy and France. Am looking for woodturning related galleries in
Germany & Italy. Will attend turning course in France sponsored by Craft
Supplies (UK) but always looking for opportunities to see other work. Any
suggestions?

Mike Swain

Hi Paul,

Who's the teacher on the course you're attending?

Regards...Mike

Creative Woodturning
http://www.creative-woodturning.com
Martin Rost

Hi Paul,
The Woodturning Center's magazine had an article about two or three
years ago about an ivory museum in southern Germany. The museum had a lot
of turned pieces. I can't find the article right now, but a web search
turned up
Elfenbeinmuseum in Erbach which is in the Odenwald area.
http://www.odenwald.de/sights/museen/elfeengl.htm
Elfenbein means ivory. If you want to do some online searches put in
drechseln which is a verb meaning to work on a lathe. The person working on
the lathe is a Drechsler.
Hope this helps.
Martin

"Paul Rasmussen" paulra@comcast wrote in message
We will going to Europe next weekend. We will be touring Germany

(southern),
northern Italy and France. Am looking for woodturning related galleries

in
Germany & Italy. Will attend turning course in France sponsored by Craft
Supplies (UK) but always looking for opportunities to see other work. Any
suggestions?

Peter Charles Fagg

Paul, below is the URL link to the German Woodturners organisation,
may I suggest that you use the "Kontakt" email address on the right
hand side, perhaps the person receiving could be of help. I know he
can understand English because I wrote to him last year.

http://www.drechsler.org/

Regards,
Peter Charles Fagg
Freshwater, Isle of Wight,
United Kingdom.
www.petersplatters.co.uk
Each can do but little!
But if each DID that little,
ALL would be done!

Mike Swain

Hi Paul,

You're in for a treat, as well as being an excellent tutor, Jamie is a
really funny man, very dry. He is also quite innovative too, I
currently have one of his sharpening jigs in on long term review.

Hope you enjoy your time with Craft Supplies.

Regards....Mike Swain RPT

http://www.creative-woodturning.com
John Pierce

"Paul Rasmussen" paulra@comcast wrote in message ...
We will going to Europe next weekend. We will be touring Germany (southern),
northern Italy and France. Am looking for woodturning related galleries in
Germany & Italy. Will attend turning course in France sponsored by Craft
Supplies (UK) but always looking for opportunities to see other work. Any
suggestions?

Well, OK. I got the part about turning, BUT...

While you're there, you should check out some work by a woodcarver:
Tilman Riemannschneider. See the big church in Rothenburg ob der
Tauber. Amazing work!

He's the Grinling Gibbons of Germany. Or maybe, Grinling Gibbons is
the T. R. of England. Whatever.

John Pierce
Maker of Fine Wood Chips and Sawdust