Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Derek Hartzell

Default What should I use for finishing bowls?

I want a good finish for my natural edge bowls. I've used tung oil, tung
oil mixed with mineral spirit and now use Daly's SeaFin Teak Oil which I
like a lot better than the other two. I also tried Formby's Tung Oil finish
and didn't really like it. It seemed more brittle and crystalline. I want
a penetrating type with oil, like an oil varnish to protect my natural edge
bowls. One criteria is a faster build than what I'm getting. Some bowls
like pine and birch may take up to about 7-10 coats. Most bowls including
apple, cherry and maple take at least 4 coats. One member of my local club
suggested TruOil and I'm leaning toward that based on good comments in the
archives. Any other suggestions? I'll be ordering the Russell CD's when he
intros the new one, but I need to get a gallon soon.

Thanks,

Derek