Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default What's this lathe?

Couldn't get pictures so will try to describe this lathe.
It had two pipes for the bed-way. It looks well made and it's old.

Seems that it was about 48" long and 10" from head to bed. I think it
was green. Maybe yates-american? It is in working condition. I think
it was on an original stand.

The tailstock had a tin emblem riveted on it that was hard to read
due to low light. I think I caught the word Smith. I had to lean
over too and read upside-down.

Not much to go on, may try to get more info.

Anyone have a idea of what it's worth?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
Electric Comet writes:

The tailstock had a tin emblem riveted on it that was hard to read
due to low light. I think I caught the word Smith. I had to lean
over too and read upside-down.

Shopsmith?

https://www.google.com/search?q=shop...=lnms&tbm=isch

--
Drew Lawson

". . . And I never give a reason"
-- God, as channeled by Seven Nations
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Electric Comet wrote:

Couldn't get pictures so will try to describe this lathe.
It had two pipes for the bed-way. It looks well made and it's old.

Seems that it was about 48" long and 10" from head to bed. I think it
was green. Maybe yates-american? It is in working condition. I think
it was on an original stand.

The tailstock had a tin emblem riveted on it that was hard to read
due to low light. I think I caught the word Smith. I had to lean
over too and read upside-down.

Not much to go on, may try to get more info.

Anyone have a idea of what it's worth?

Yates-American would be embarrassed to be associated with this. My first
lathe, and it beat none, but I can look at it a bit more clearly now.

Shopsmith (Magna Engineering vintage - a "greeny") from 1953-ish

Not really stunningly valuable unless it's in pristine condition (sounds
like not) and you can find a crazed collector. If fully functional and
lacking most (or all?) accessories not much north of $100 - a bit more
if all the other parts are there (saw table & arbors, shaper setup,
sander disc, drill chuck, etc...)

If worn out or damaged (as happens when folks muck with the speed dial
while it's not running) free is a good price, and "I'll get that out of
your garage if you pay me $50" is better, as getting it back up and
running is possible, but will run to more money than it's worth pretty
soon. Aside from being 60 years old, a greenie has a 3/4 hp motor .vs 1+
on the gray ones, and a Gilmer belt drive that's prone to eating belt
teeth (replaced by a poly-V belt in later models, or with an upgrade kit
that's worth more than the machine is.)

As a lathe, the low speed is not low enough for the swing, the spindle
is rather small as well, and the mass is lacking. Multiple adjustments
also mean multiple things that can get out of adjustment (lining up the
tailstock is one of those "check every time, because something has
probably moved" exercises.)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 20:35:21 +0000 (UTC)
lid (Drew Lawson) wrote:

Shopsmith?

Shopsmith's one word, I read Smith by itself. I think it's a yates
american. In looking on owwm.org I found one called a w-20 that looks
similar.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 16:08:17 -0500
Ecnerwal wrote:

Yates-American would be embarrassed to be associated with this. My
first lathe, and it beat none, but I can look at it a bit more
clearly now.

I think it's a yates-american w-20 or w-25. I think I will pass.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

FWIW Actually the site was http://vintagemachinery.org/
I think owwm sent me there.