Stephen DiCenso

Default Cedar

I got my hands on a good size piece of rough sawn cedar. Someone in the
woodworking group I belong to, (I am fairly new to it) said that cedar is
hard to finish. This stuff was just sawn in the last 3-4 weeks. I believe it
is still green. I would like to make some pens out of it and a box for now.
How would I finish this stuff both for pens and other projects as well?

--
Stephen DiCenso

Dr. Deb

Stephen DiCenso wrote:

I got my hands on a good size piece of rough sawn cedar. Someone in the
woodworking group I belong to, (I am fairly new to it) said that cedar is
hard to finish. This stuff was just sawn in the last 3-4 weeks. I believe
it is still green. I would like to make some pens out of it and a box for
now.
How would I finish this stuff both for pens and other projects as well?

It is really hard to beat shellac. If the piece is green, turn it fairly
thin and soak it with shellac, starting on the inside and applying with a
clean cloth soaked in shellac. Keep applying until, letting the friction
generate the heat to dry it quickly, you get the sheen you want and then
finish the outside. I usually finish it off with a good scrub with "0000"
steelwool and Briwax, then a couple more coats of Briwax buffed to a shine.
That is for the bowl. For the pens, the usual finishing wax or whatever
will do nicely. Being smaller, the chance of them splitting is greatly
reduced.

Hope this helps.

BTW, it being green, do not be surprised if it splits on you as it fully
cures. To prevent this, take it in the house and put it in the back of a
closet for about six months. Then turn it. But since we live in an age of
instant gratification, turn away. The least that can happen is that you
will get practice turning and that is always fun.

Deb
Jim Gott

For the pens, the usual finishing wax or whatever
will do nicely. Being smaller, the chance of them splitting is greatly
reduced. BRBR

Don't try turning pens from green wood. Will crack every time as the wood
dries. Must use dry wood. Once wet wood is glued to dry brass it can no longer
move as it dries, but drying stresses will prevail and it will crack.
You can try cutting some pen blanks (3/4 X 3/4 X 5 1/2) and drying them in a
food dehydrator to speed up the process. You can seal the ends with yellow glue
to equalize drying through the end grain. Once dry you can make your pens.
I have found that Deft lacquer thinned about 40 percent with lacquer thinner
makes a nice finish, including cedar.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA