xrongor

Default Pen Turning Initial Shopping List

so thats what, 550$ and change? how many pens you gotta sell or make to
justify that? you might do better to get a real lathe that you can use for
other things. or a drill press, or even just a motor. you can make a jig
with two skateboard bearings, turn the drill press on its side, and just go
that route for a few pens...

jig like this. capital x is skate bearings inserted into wood, lower x is
the wood jig.

xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx
Xxx
xxX
Xx rod through bearings to take lateral load off motor --- xX
threaded rod to power
Xxx
xxX
xxx
xxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

if you want, i can draw up a nice picture and post it to the bin group. ya
im crazy, but it just seems like quite a bit of money just to make pens.
ive done tons of turning on a jig just like this one that i made attached to
a drill press.

just my 2 cents...

randy

"Benjamin T. Kindt" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm about to make the plunge into the pen turning hobby, and I thought
I'd post my initial shopping list here to get some feedback. Am I
going overboard? Am I forgetting anything important?

Many thanks in advance. Here's my list:

JET 708351VS/JML-1014VS Variable Speed Mini Lathe, $299 (plus $25 off
at Amazon this month). I'm not sure if VS is that important, but I
thought I'd go for it rather than regretting not getting it later.

JET JML-S Adjustable Mini Lathe Stand, $119.99. I don't yet have a
good workbench, so this seems like it would work well.

JET 709160 3-Piece Pen Turning Chisel Set, $79.99

Mandrel Set #2 MT, Penn State, $15.70

EEE-Ultra Shine Paste Wax, Penn State, $14.35

Shellawax Cream, 300ml Jar, Penn State, $20.55

4 Grit Sandpaper set, Penn State, $19.95

Plus wood blanks and pen kits. I figure I'll start with pre-drilled
blanks so as to save on the cost of a drill press. I have access to a
bandsaw if needed as well.

Thanks again!

Ben

xrongor

i give up on ascii art.. it always blows up on me..

sorry.