DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Update on Bowl Saver (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/351753-update-bowl-saver.html)

G.W.Ross January 15th 13 04:19 PM

Update on Bowl Saver

Have been practicing with the bowl saver on some nice sweetgum. First,
there are a lot less shavings, since there is only the outside shaping
of the blank and the hollowing out of the smallest bowl. Second, it is
faster--even if you don't need the smaller bowls. Just throw the inside
bowl away and you are done. In three days it has probably paid for
itself providing I can sell the smaller bowls, and sweetgum bowls sell well.
--
G.W.Ross

Everywhere is walking distance if you
have the time. --Steven Wright

Dave Balderstone January 16th 13 03:52 AM

Update on Bowl Saver

In article , G.W.Ross
wrote:

Have been practicing with the bowl saver on some nice sweetgum. First,
there are a lot less shavings, since there is only the outside shaping
of the blank and the hollowing out of the smallest bowl. Second, it is
faster--even if you don't need the smaller bowls. Just throw the inside
bowl away and you are done. In three days it has probably paid for
itself providing I can sell the smaller bowls, and sweetgum bowls sell well.

How fast are you turning with it?

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx

Mac Davis January 16th 13 05:42 AM

Update on Bowl Saver

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:19:17 -0500, "G.W.Ross"
wrote:

Have been practicing with the bowl saver on some nice sweetgum. First,
there are a lot less shavings, since there is only the outside shaping
of the blank and the hollowing out of the smallest bowl. Second, it is
faster--even if you don't need the smaller bowls. Just throw the inside
bowl away and you are done. In three days it has probably paid for
itself providing I can sell the smaller bowls, and sweetgum bowls sell well.

Where do I click "Like"?

G.W.Ross January 16th 13 01:09 PM

Update on Bowl Saver

In article_uydnaS9G9fgHGjNnZ2dnUVZ_oGdnZ2d@giganews. com, G.W.Ross
wrote:

Have been practicing with the bowl saver on some nice sweetgum. First,
there are a lot less shavings, since there is only the outside shaping
of the blank and the hollowing out of the smallest bowl. Second, it is
faster--even if you don't need the smaller bowls. Just throw the inside
bowl away and you are done. In three days it has probably paid for
itself providing I can sell the smaller bowls, and sweetgum bowls sell well.

How fast are you turning with it?

Checked yesterday. 10-12" size of larger bowl--From slice off the log
to two bowls roughed out from it took 45 minutes. That's fast for me.

G.W.Ross January 16th 13 01:14 PM

Update on Bowl Saver

wrote:

Have been practicing with the bowl saver on some nice sweetgum. First,
there are a lot less shavings, since there is only the outside shaping
of the blank and the hollowing out of the smallest bowl. Second, it is
faster--even if you don't need the smaller bowls. Just throw the inside
bowl away and you are done. In three days it has probably paid for
itself providing I can sell the smaller bowls, and sweetgum bowls sell well.

Where do I click "Like"?

On your mailbox--with a donation to my non-profit Foundation for the
Inept. ;)

Dave Balderstone January 16th 13 03:40 PM

Update on Bowl Saver

In article , G.W.Ross

wrote:

Have been practicing with the bowl saver on some nice sweetgum. First,
there are a lot less shavings, since there is only the outside shaping
of the blank and the hollowing out of the smallest bowl. Second, it is
faster--even if you don't need the smaller bowls. Just throw the inside
bowl away and you are done. In three days it has probably paid for
itself providing I can sell the smaller bowls, and sweetgum bowls sell
well.

How fast are you turning with it?

Checked yesterday. 10-12" size of larger bowl--From slice off the log
to two bowls roughed out from it took 45 minutes. That's fast for me.

Sorry, my fault. I meant what rpm speed is the lathe spinning?

G.W.Ross January 16th 13 07:05 PM

Update on Bowl Saver

In article_MCdnbJB6LQJO2vNnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@giganews. com, G.W.Ross

wrote:

Have been practicing with the bowl saver on some nice sweetgum. First,
there are a lot less shavings, since there is only the outside shaping
of the blank and the hollowing out of the smallest bowl. Second, it is
faster--even if you don't need the smaller bowls. Just throw the inside
bowl away and you are done. In three days it has probably paid for
itself providing I can sell the smaller bowls, and sweetgum bowls sell
well.

How fast are you turning with it?

Checked yesterday. 10-12" size of larger bowl--From slice off the log
to two bowls roughed out from it took 45 minutes. That's fast for me.

Sorry, my fault. I meant what rpm speed is the lathe spinning?

500-600 rpm. I haven't gotten confident enough to go any faster. It
still surprises me if I go too far and the inner bowl just drops down
and bumbles around inside the larger bowl. I fully expect it to go into
near earth orbit. Pleasant surprise.