Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Update on Bowl Saver

Have been practicing with the bowl saver on some nice sweetgum. First,
there are a lot less shavings, since there is only the outside shaping
of the blank and the hollowing out of the smallest bowl. Second, it is
faster--even if you don't need the smaller bowls. Just throw the inside
bowl away and you are done. In three days it has probably paid for
itself providing I can sell the smaller bowls, and sweetgum bowls sell well.
--
G.W.Ross

Everywhere is walking distance if you
have the time. --Steven Wright

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , G.W.Ross
wrote:

Have been practicing with the bowl saver on some nice sweetgum. First,
there are a lot less shavings, since there is only the outside shaping
of the blank and the hollowing out of the smallest bowl. Second, it is
faster--even if you don't need the smaller bowls. Just throw the inside
bowl away and you are done. In three days it has probably paid for
itself providing I can sell the smaller bowls, and sweetgum bowls sell well.

How fast are you turning with it?

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:19:17 -0500, "G.W.Ross"
wrote:

Have been practicing with the bowl saver on some nice sweetgum. First,
there are a lot less shavings, since there is only the outside shaping
of the blank and the hollowing out of the smallest bowl. Second, it is
faster--even if you don't need the smaller bowls. Just throw the inside
bowl away and you are done. In three days it has probably paid for
itself providing I can sell the smaller bowls, and sweetgum bowls sell well.

Where do I click "Like"?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article_uydnaS9G9fgHGjNnZ2dnUVZ_oGdnZ2d@giganews. com, G.W.Ross
wrote:

Have been practicing with the bowl saver on some nice sweetgum. First,
there are a lot less shavings, since there is only the outside shaping
of the blank and the hollowing out of the smallest bowl. Second, it is
faster--even if you don't need the smaller bowls. Just throw the inside
bowl away and you are done. In three days it has probably paid for
itself providing I can sell the smaller bowls, and sweetgum bowls sell well.

How fast are you turning with it?

Checked yesterday. 10-12" size of larger bowl--From slice off the log
to two bowls roughed out from it took 45 minutes. That's fast for me.

--
G.W.Ross

Everywhere is walking distance if you
have the time. --Steven Wright

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

Have been practicing with the bowl saver on some nice sweetgum. First,
there are a lot less shavings, since there is only the outside shaping
of the blank and the hollowing out of the smallest bowl. Second, it is
faster--even if you don't need the smaller bowls. Just throw the inside
bowl away and you are done. In three days it has probably paid for
itself providing I can sell the smaller bowls, and sweetgum bowls sell well.

Where do I click "Like"?

On your mailbox--with a donation to my non-profit Foundation for the
Inept. ;)

--
G.W.Ross

Everywhere is walking distance if you
have the time. --Steven Wright

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , G.W.Ross

wrote:

Have been practicing with the bowl saver on some nice sweetgum. First,
there are a lot less shavings, since there is only the outside shaping
of the blank and the hollowing out of the smallest bowl. Second, it is
faster--even if you don't need the smaller bowls. Just throw the inside
bowl away and you are done. In three days it has probably paid for
itself providing I can sell the smaller bowls, and sweetgum bowls sell
well.

How fast are you turning with it?

Checked yesterday. 10-12" size of larger bowl--From slice off the log
to two bowls roughed out from it took 45 minutes. That's fast for me.

Sorry, my fault. I meant what rpm speed is the lathe spinning?

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article_MCdnbJB6LQJO2vNnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@giganews. com, G.W.Ross

wrote:

Have been practicing with the bowl saver on some nice sweetgum. First,
there are a lot less shavings, since there is only the outside shaping
of the blank and the hollowing out of the smallest bowl. Second, it is
faster--even if you don't need the smaller bowls. Just throw the inside
bowl away and you are done. In three days it has probably paid for
itself providing I can sell the smaller bowls, and sweetgum bowls sell
well.

How fast are you turning with it?

Checked yesterday. 10-12" size of larger bowl--From slice off the log
to two bowls roughed out from it took 45 minutes. That's fast for me.

Sorry, my fault. I meant what rpm speed is the lathe spinning?

500-600 rpm. I haven't gotten confident enough to go any faster. It
still surprises me if I go too far and the inner bowl just drops down
and bumbles around inside the larger bowl. I fully expect it to go into
near earth orbit. Pleasant surprise.

Bowl Saver G. Ross Woodturning 5 November 18th 12 08:21 AM
BG Standby Saver The Medway Handyman UK diy 6 September 14th 09 06:32 PM
update on my willow bowl project Toller Woodturning 8 July 16th 07 03:03 PM
ADC saver Tango2 Electronics 2 May 26th 06 01:53 PM
Update on plum bowl, was "too big for lathe?" (0/1) mac davis Woodturning 0 April 26th 05 05:36 PM