Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default trying to identify piece of wood

I may have mentioned that my dad had a shop when I was a tyke. He sold a wide
variety of hardwoods, many of which might no longer even be easily available.
Some of the countries of origin may have either been absorbed by another
country or changed their names or political arrangements.

I digress.

Some of the samples were well labeled, most others less so. The piece in
question has a penciled in name, but not very easily readable. I have my own
take on what the name may be, "jiquin" but is not useful to me. I tried a
google search but did not get useful information on a possible kind of
hardwood.

I'm appealing to the collective here, in hopes of finding a name for this
mystery wood. Two images are posted on Flickr for your examination.
If you have the time and the inclination, I'd appreciate your input.

Thank you.

tom koehler

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55616gandy/

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

tom koehler wrote:
[...]

Could it be "Jigue"? See:

http://www.thewoodexplorer.com/maindata/we738.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 16:52:36 -0500, Nova wrote
(in message ):

Could it be "Jigue"? See:

http://www.thewoodexplorer.com/maindata/we738.html

Thanks for your response! I'll check it out, you bet!
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 23:56:04 -0500, Ralph E Lindberg wrote
(in message ):

The best single point for wood ID is
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Excellent! I'll give it a good look and bookmark it.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.