Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default turning blanks as a gift

My elderly husband used to enjoy woodturning and as he still has all the
equipment that he would need he is thinking about taking it up again. I
would like to buy him some turning blanks, some of the more unusual woods
perhaps. I have looked at magazines and there does seem to be quite a few
firms dealing with that sort of thing. Could anyone recommend a good and
reliable firm to deal with, he was looking at an advert for SLHardwoods, are
they good ?

thanks

kate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have placed several orders with West Penn Hardwoods
http://www.westpennhardwoods.com/index.php and been very well pleased with
their service and their woods. They have an exceptional selection of unusual
woods.

Russ
"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
My elderly husband used to enjoy woodturning and as he still has all the
equipment that he would need he is thinking about taking it up again. I
would like to buy him some turning blanks, some of the more unusual woods
perhaps. I have looked at magazines and there does seem to be quite a few
firms dealing with that sort of thing. Could anyone recommend a good and
reliable firm to deal with, he was looking at an advert for SLHardwoods,
are they good ?

thanks

kate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 21/10/10 09:50, Kate Morgan wrote:
My elderly husband used to enjoy woodturning and as he still has all the
equipment that he would need he is thinking about taking it up again. I
would like to buy him some turning blanks, some of the more unusual
woods perhaps. I have looked at magazines and there does seem to be
quite a few firms dealing with that sort of thing. Could anyone
recommend a good and reliable firm to deal with, he was looking at an
advert for SLHardwoods, are they good ?

thanks

kate

Kate,

I'm guessing that from the "BT Internet" e-mail address, and you
mentioning SL Hardwoods (a UK company), that you are in the UK? If so,
then there's not a lot of point paying shipping from the USA on wood
unless it is really special and unavailable more locally.

"Exotic" woods can be a bit intimidating (not wanting to "waste" an
expensive piece of wood), which can lead to procrastination. And, quite
frankly, _some_ exotics are only expensive because they have travelled
far, not because they are so much prettier than local wood (for example,
I far prefer Laburnum to the average "exotic" brown wood).

So my suggestion would be to get some reasonably priced British timber.
Sadly not many companies market the prettiest locally grown woods. But
there are usually people at clubs that have interesting bits for sale
and to swap. A starting place would be
http://www.woodturners.co.uk/branches.htm or internet search for local
turner's clubs; phone the secretary and have a chat.

I've not used SL Hardwoods, but that is more to do with the way I tend
to buy wood than because I don't trust them or anything.

Good luck
Andy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

:
[...]

Yes Andy I am in the u.k. and was hoping to find something unusual for my
husband but on reflection it is probably not a good idea. I will do as you
suggest and try to find something local.
Thank you for your interest and help

kate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

[This followup was posted to rec.crafts.woodturning and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article , says...

:
[...]

I'm surprised that no-one has already pointed you to at least two web sites for 'exotic timber
supplies' in the UK

http://www.exotichardwoods.co.uk/index.asp

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Hard...l_timbers.html

I've used the first one and had excellent service but the second has an on-line ordering service for a
limited range.

JG

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

snip

I'm surprised that no-one has already pointed you to at least two web
sites for 'exotic timber
supplies' in the UK

http://www.exotichardwoods.co.uk/index.asp

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Hard...l_timbers.html

I've used the first one and had excellent service but the second has an
on-line ordering service for a
limited range.

JG

Thank you JG, the two links are very good, in particular the last one Tool
Post, easy to understand for peeps such as me :-)

kate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kate Try http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/index.php

They have a large supply of local and exotic hardwoods and are the
friendliest people I have dealt with. It is no problem to order either
on the internet or over the phone and the website is easy to negotiate.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

You have all been very kind and helpful. I now have lots of web sites to
look at in fact I think I will let my husband look at them and then he can
choose exactly what he wants.
Thanks once more

kate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Ralph E Lindberg" wrote in message

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Hard...cal_timbers.ht
ml

I've used the first one and had excellent service but the second has an
on-line ordering service for a
limited range.

http://www.woodbypost.fsnet.co.uk/

I have bought wood from Paul here and I could not hope for a helpful or
honest transaction - I emailed for a quote, agreed it and Paul sent the box
of blanks with instructions to send him a cheque once I had recieved the
wood and was happy - I have never had a trader not want paying before
sending out the goods :-).

Cheers

Mark

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

http://www.woodbypost.fsnet.co.uk/

I have bought wood from Paul here and I could not hope for a helpful or
honest transaction - I emailed for a quote, agreed it and Paul sent the
box of blanks with instructions to send him a cheque once I had recieved
the wood and was happy - I have never had a trader not want paying before
sending out the goods :-).

Cheers

Mark

That sounds brilly Mark, I wish we could go and visit, thank you
kate

turning blanks marc Woodturning 4 September 16th 07 01:42 PM
Turning blanks marc Woodturning 5 September 14th 07 11:17 PM
Turning Blanks marc Woodworking 6 September 13th 07 02:25 AM
mahogany turning blanks Upscale Woodworking 0 May 15th 06 08:58 PM
Turning Blanks? Dave Woodturning 6 May 21st 05 07:32 PM