Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Adding "Behaviors" To Turnings - Unexpected Effects

This using programmable micro controllers to add "behaviors"
to pieces keeps getting interestinger and interestinger.

This one started while playing with a small servo. Hit on having
the servo's arm move randomly somewhere within about a
70 arc. Watching it dart back and forth reminded me of a
"behavior" - the eyes of a speed freak - darting around, unable
to stay focused on anything for more than a second. Making
an eyeball - and having the servo dart it about was a no brainer.

Then, another unxpected inspiration - due to a) the "lidded box"
having a roundish bottom and b) Newtons Laws of Inertia. When
the servo arm swings quickly - and stops suddenly - it imparts
a force on whatever it's attached to - in this case - the box
it's in - and causes the box to move - jerking and rocking - just
a little bit.

By turning a lead fishing weight down a bit - and connecting it
to the servo's arm with shrink tubing - I could amplify THAT
speed freak behavior.

By using a hyperdemic syringe and needle in place of a finial,
the movement at the tip of the needle was amplified again
due to its distance from the bottom of the capsule - the
pivot point for the movement.

Here's a link to the quick and dirty YouTube vid I did on this
accidently discovered "behavior". (hope this url is right).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwKeoXrb1kI

Comments, questions and suggestions welcomed.

charlie b